Dear Texas fans

Dear_Texas_Fans_0907_LaurenIbanezSportsDC
Lauren Ibanez

Dear Texas fans, 

Put the bottle down. 

It’s going to be okay. Maybe. If you aren’t convinced quite yet, here’s the good news:

First off, Tulsa comes into town this week. The Golden Hurricane, a team that went 2–10 last season, should be a solid alternative to the alcohol y’all have been downing to wash the bad taste from last week out of y’alls mouths. 

Secondly and more importantly, Texas lost to Maryland in Week One — again. Key words: Week One. As crazy as it sounds, this might benefit y’all. Look at it this way: Instead of the Longhorns leading y’all into this month-long facade of “Texas is back,” they destroyed any expectations right off the bat. 

If we’re being real, y’all have needed to be humbled for quite some time. This is a perfect opportunity to reevaluate your expectations. 

This season — as much as it was thrown around that this was the year — is truly still a rebuilding year. Y’all have to remember that this is a team that before Herman, lost to Kansas. KANSAS. 

Herman has just started his second season, and let’s not forget what he said after the loss to Maryland last year: 

“I told our guys to never get used to this feeling, but that if we thought that if we thought that we were going to come in here and, in nine months, sprinkle some fairy dust on this team and think we’re arrived, then we’re wrong.”

If none of this makes you feel slightly better, just remember: There is literally nowhere to go but up. 

We hate to do this, but there is also bad news. Read at your own risk.

The worst case scenario is that Herman is right after all. This season is different — it’s worse.

Looking forward past Week Two, though, Texas has a favorable schedule. That is, if y’all consider three ranked opponents in USC, TCU and Oklahoma, in addition to a road game against Kansas State, something to be enthusiastic about.

If you’re being honest with yourself — and I know that’s hard for a Longhorn fan — a 2–4 start could be in play for Texas.

As for last week, y’all should have known better. Remember last year? The Terrapins won three games that year after forcing y’all to throw things onto the field just one week into the season.

But if you’re thinking to yourself that Texas isn’t far off from the No. 23 ranking that they were granted prior to the season, please eliminate that thought immediately. Texas never belonged in the top-25 conversation. 

One last piece of good news is that this is a team that has played to its competition in recent history. We aren’t saying Texas will go 2–4. This is a team that competed with USC and Oklahoma last season, so the Longhorns could very well turn this ship around. 

Here’s what we are saying: Tread with caution, and put the bottle down, at least for the time being. Take it easy for the Tulsa game. Trust us. Texas football is a marathon, not a sprint. 

Good luck.