SG explains plans despite little legislation

SG_2018-09-05_Student_Government_Brittany
Brittany Mendez

For the first time in three years, Student Government has not introduced new legislation at their first two assembly meetings. 

SG introduced seven pieces of legislation in their first two meetings in 2016 and five pieces of legislation in 2017. This year’s first two meetings instead focused on appropriations and appointing new members.

SG president Colton Becker said legislation is a way to show the legislative assembly’s support for an initiative, but it is not necessary in order for an initiative to receive administrative support.

“The ones we’ve worked on (so far) got approval up front, or they’ve gotten support and enthusiasm to move them forward initially, so there wasn’t a need to draft legislation,” nutrition senior Becker said.

University-wide representative Adam Bergman is planning initiatives such as coordinating campus-wide Table Talks and improving intramural field safety, which should make their way to the legislative agenda within the year.

“I think it’s more important to push smaller legislation,” Spanish sophomore Bergman said. “If there is a bigger legislation then push it, but do what you can with your time here.”

Speaker of the assembly Benjamin Solder said he hopes to see SG focus on fewer, more time-consuming pieces of legislation instead of passing small bills and resolutions that might not create as much of an impact on campus.

“Now we just need to wait and see if eventual legislation is more meaningful and impactful for us to find out if I’m doing my job well,” neuroscience senior Solder said.

Becker said while there are bills and resolutions in the works, passing legislation can take anywhere from two to four weeks, so SG will move initiatives forward without it when possible. “We were elected by the student body on this platform, so it’s already gotten the endorsement,” Becker said. “That’s what we’re accountable to.”