Herman moves on to TCU matchup, talks recruiting visits

Herman_2018-09-15_Texas_v_USC_Carlos
Carlos Garcia

Tom Herman is two days fresh off his biggest win as the head coach at Texas, but he’s not celebrating for long.

At his press conference Monday, Herman was asked about how his players have been managing the congratulatory remarks from friends and family while preparing for an even bigger contest against TCU this coming Saturday.

“We spent a 30-minute team meeting yesterday,” Herman said. “In this family, you can be bombarded with outside messages that have no impact on our preparation for TCU. So it was a big point of the emphasis throughout the day yesterday, making sure that the opinions of the people in that locker room and in those coaches’ offices are the only ones that we worry about.”

It’s nothing new for Texas fans to jump to unnecessary conclusions after a momentous win for the program, so it would only be natural for players and coaches to potentially fall back on what’s being considered a signature win for Herman and the Longhorns. Despite the buzz around campus this week, the 37-14 blowout over USC won’t mean anything if they look similar to how they were during the first two weeks.

Herman said much like the way his players are approaching this week, maturity and focus are primarily what helped the team move forward after the season-opening loss to Maryland.

“Because of where we’re at culturally and with the leadership on this team that moving past the first game was actually not as difficult as probably many people think; it really wasn’t,” Herman said. “I think our guys were ready to learn and move on, just like we’re ready to learn and move on this week from a win.”

Last Saturday’s win wasn’t just a huge addition for Texas in the win column, though. Herman mentioned that over 40 high school recruits were in attendance for the game against USC on unofficial visits.

“We’re on track, we’re on pace with a lot of guys that we feel like we need to be,” Herman said. “You had 40-some odd guys offered or ‘offerable-type’ guys that were here unofficially.”

In addition, Herman said each of the official visits —­ which he said last Thursday would be around five or six athletes — had individual meetings with him and ate breakfast at his house Sunday morning.

“There’s some really positive things to having official visits on a game day weekend,” Herman said. “Our recruits got to see our atmosphere, which was unbelievable, got to see a win against a Top-25 opponent and got to experience Austin.”

While giving a list of injury updates Monday, Herman said junior linebacker Malcolm Roach will miss 6-8 weeks due to a foot fracture. Roach left Saturday’s game against USC after suffering the injury.

Freshman wide receiver Brennan Eagles and junior center Zach Shackelford are both “probably doubtful” to return this weekend, while freshman linebacker
DeMarvion Overshown is likely a week or two away from making his Texas debut.

Meanwhile, freshman running back Keaontay Ingram, who’s averaging 6.3 yards per carry during the first two games, is “questionable.”

Herman is scheduled to meet with media members again after practice on Thursday.