CapMetro adds additional buses to route 10 following overcrowding complaints

CapMetro_2018-04-02_Buses_Joshua
Joshua Guenther

In response to overcrowding complaints, Capitol Metro has added four buses along route 10 running from 45th street into campus between 8 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. weekday mornings.

These additional buses are not in the regular schedule and will not show up on the app. Instead they will arrive as “bonus” rides to alleviate overcrowding, CapMetro communications specialist Mariette Hummel said. 

“This change was made in response to overcrowding complaints and in conjunction with post-CapRemap service analysis showing that additional service was needed to meet customers’ needs and accommodate ridership demands,” Hummel said.

Hummel said the additional buses will be kept in service for the rest of the semester and CapMetro will make permanent adjustments to the schedule in January. As of now, there are not any changes being made to Riverside routes, such as route 20, which is commonly used by students.

“We are looking at all routes post the CapRemap changes and will make several service adjustments in January,” Hummel said. “Additional service on route 20 is one of the adjustments being analyzed at the present time.”

CapMetro eliminated route 653, a UT shuttle, as part of their “CapRemap” this June, where they re-evaluated their routes and removed duplicate routes. Students who took the 653 now take route 10, which runs the same route.

“Last year I lived on Red River as well, and I took the 653, which was a great route,” Spanish senior Sofia Perry said. “(The additional buses) will help, but I think there needs to be another bus route be put in because it’s just way too crowded.”

Hummel said CapMetro decided to add the buses at these times because it was when overcrowding was at its worst.

“I usually get to the bus stop at 9:20 a.m. or 9:25 a.m., and there’s supposed to be a 9:30 a.m. bus and that’s usually the one that’s too full,” said Grace Cooper a human biology and Spanish senior. “The days I am able to get on the bus, my stop is usually the last one where they are able to pick up people.”

Cooper said CapMetro should add more buses throughout the day, as she still experiences problems with overcrowding going to her afternoon classes.

“On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I have a 12:30 p.m. class, but it’s the same problem where the bus is so full,” Cooper said. “An all-day thing would be much better than just the morning, but the morning will definitely help.”