Texas held scoreless by TCU in first loss of season

soccer_2018-09-07_UT_vs_TxSt_Brooke
Brooke Crim

No. 8 Texas couldn’t find a way to escape Fort Worth with a win on Sunday as the Longhorns fell to unranked TCU, 0-1.

This loss continues a trend of poor performances in away matches against TCU. In fact, Texas hasn’t defeated the Horned Frogs in Fort Worth since 2008.

The Longhorns were outshot by a margin of 2-1 in the match as they struggled to move the ball into TCU’s third of the field.

Texas was also missing key contributors, freshmen Julia Grosso and Emma Regan, who were called to the Canadian Women’s Senior National Team to prepare for the CONCACAF Women’s Championship.

While Texas couldn’t find a way to win the match, the contest was competitive from beginning to end.

Defensively, the Longhorns stopped multiple strong efforts from TCU in the first half, only allowing three shots on goal, which were stopped by the excellent play of goalkeeper Nicole Curry.

In the second half, the offense started to show some signs of brilliance, taking eight shots, including a near goal from midfielder/forward Haley Berg. However, the efforts from the offense weren’t strong enough to break the strength of the Horned Frogs’ defense.  

The Longhorns were able to hold off TCU for a majority of the second half, stopping ten shots including four strikes on goal. But the strong play of the Texas defense could only last so long before a one-on-one opportunity arose for the Horned Frogs and gave TCU a 1-0 lead with 13 minutes remaining.

Through the remainder of the match, the Longhorns continued to battle in an attempt to find the game-tying score but weren’t able to put anything together.  

After this weekend’s two Big 12 matchups, including the tie against No. 13 Oklahoma State, Texas now sits at 1–1–1 in the conference and 9–1–2 overall.

The Longhorns will return to the field Friday, Oct. 5, to take on Big 12 foe Iowa State on the road. Texas has struggled against Big 12 opponents this season, but will look to remain competitive in the conference by earning their second league win.