15 UT law professors sign letter opposing Supreme Court Justice nominee Brett Kavanaugh

UTRanking_915_2016-07-10_Tower_Fountain_Stock_Zoe
Zoe Fu

Fifteen UT law professors signed a letter asking U.S. senators to not confirm Judge Brett Kavanaugh as a United States Supreme Court Justice.

A. Mechele Dickerson, William Forbath, Patricia Isela Hanson and 12 others are among the growing list of more than 1,000 law professors from across the country who signed the letter published by The New York Times.

Kavanaugh testified at a senate hearing Sept. 27 after Christine Blasey Ford, psychology professor at Palo Alto University and former classmate of Kavanaugh, accused him of sexually assaulting her in the early 1980s. The letter states Kavanaugh’s aggressive behavior toward senators at the hearing should disqualify him for consideration.

“Kavanaugh displayed a lack of judicial temperament that would be disqualifying for any court, and certainly for elevation to the highest court of this land,” the letter read.

Kavanaugh was uncooperative, calling the hearing a coordinated political hit, the letter stated.

“We have differing views about the other qualifications of Judge Kavanaugh,” the letter said. “But we are united, as professors of law and scholars of judicial institutions, in believing that he did not display the impartiality and judicial temperament requisite to sit on the highest court of our land.”

Senate began reviewing the FBI’s background check of Kavanaugh Thursday. Senate called for the FBI to further investigate Ford’s claims against Kavanaugh last week, postponing their vote, which will now occur as soon as Friday.