Longhorns fall to another Big 12 opponent in final regular season match

The Texas Longhorns (13–3–2) were unable to find their usual rhythm against the Red Raiders in Lubbock, Texas. With three minutes left in the Longhorns’ regular season, Texas Tech was able to find the net and leave the final score at 1-0 on Thursday night.

Thursday night’s loss ended a streak of 272 consecutive minutes without giving up a goal and a three-year win streak over the Red Raiders.

Over 2,000 people attended the meeting between the Red Raiders and Longhorns. Texas had not been back to the John Walker Soccer Complex since their 2–1 victory in 2015.

Their rivalry has never been an easily contested one. In the last 12 out of 13 meetings, the game has either been won by one goal or has gone into overtime. Overall, Texas has dominated the series, 16–7–4.

Throughout the game, the Longhorns struggled to maintain possession. In the first half, holes in the Longhorn defense were exploited by the Red Raiders’ aggressive offense. The Red Raiders had six corner kicks and seven shots while Texas only had one corner kick and five shots.

The Longhorns gained some momentum in the second quarter and tied the Red Raiders with seven shots. However, the Raiders’ constant pressure broke down Texas’ defense and allowed for the late second-half goal.

By the end of the game, the rarely out-shot Longhorns only had three shots on goal while the Red Raiders had six. Despite the late goal, Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week Nicole Curry remained solid with five saves in goal.

Now headed into the postseason, the Longhorns enter as the No. 3 seed in the Big 12 Championship.

Texas struggles with aggressive man-to-man coverage and can be shut-down when pressure is applied. To succeed in the postseason, Texas must work on stopping the conference’s notably dynamic offenses.

The Longhorns will face No. 6 Kansas in Big 12 Championship quarterfinals on Sunday at 8 p.m. in Kansas City.