Big 12 Power Rankings: Week 10

football_2018-10_29_Texas_vs_OSU_Katie
Katie Bauer

We're entering the final stretch of the college football regular season and some teams are beginning to make the jump into the top tier while others are looking to avoid sliding further. Here's where each Big 12 team sits going into Week 10:

No. 1 Oklahoma

The Oklahoma Sooners are back to the top spot of the Big 12 Power Rankings after a second straight convincing victory in conference play. This week, Kansas State was the victim of 51-14 beatdown thanks to 398 total yards and four touchdowns from Kyler Murray. The Sooners have found their rhythm since the Texas loss, and are moving full steam ahead in the second half of the season.

No. 2 West Virginia 

The Mountaineers are back on track following their first loss of the season. West Virginia picked off Baylor quarterback Charlie Brewer three times and ended up with a season high 58 points in the Thursday night victory. The Mountaineers’ Big 12 Championship hopes are on the line this week with a matchup in Austin against the Longhorns.

No. 3 Texas 

Texas suffered its first loss since Week One against Maryland following a failed comeback attempt against the Oklahoma State Cowboys in Stillwater. With a full starting lineup back for the West Virginia game, there is more reason to believe the Longhorns could get back to their winning ways on Saturday. 

No. 4 Oklahoma State 

Two things were learned following Oklahoma State’s upset victory against Texas: The Cowboys are really good following a bye week, and head coach Mike Gundy does not care about Twitter. Regardless, Oklahoma State put up 502 yards against perhaps the best defense in the Big 12. Wide receiver Tylan Wallace finished with 222 yards receiving and is beginning to turn heads as one of the more underrated weapons in the Big 12.

No. 5 Iowa State 

Don’t look now, but the Iowa State Cyclones have won three straight, including two Top 25 victories. The Cyclones are averaging 39.3 points per game during their win streak and have looked like a completely team since their 1–3 start to the season. If they can win out, the Cyclones may find themselves in the Big 12 title game. The biggest test of the season comes against Texas, but the Cyclones have to take on Kansas and Baylor before traveling to Austin. 

No. 6 Texas Tech 

Texas Tech suffered its third loss of the year this past weekend. The Red Raiders are still lacking consistent quarterback play as Alan Bowman threw three interceptions against the Cyclones. The road only gets tougher for Kliff Kingsbury’s squad, as Tech faces Oklahoma and Texas in the next two weeks. 

No. 7 Baylor 

There is no other way to put it: Baylor got whooped Saturday. Baylor allowed a 58 points to West Virginia and turned the ball over four times, a recipe that will likely always result in a loss. Unfortunately for the Bears, they still have Iowa State, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State remaining on the schedule. 

No. 8 Kansas 

Kansas shocked the masses with a victory over Gary Patterson and the TCU Horned Frogs last week to improve to 3–5, which is shaping into the Jayhawks’ best season in recent memory. With just one more win this year, Kansas will have it most victories in a season since 2009. Perhaps things are turning around in Lawrence.

No. 9 Kansas State 

As for the other team in Kansas, things aren’t looking as bright. The Wildcats are coming off of their worst loss of the season and their fourth loss in the last five games. Kansas State continues to struggle on offense, only scoring over 25 points just three times this season. 

No. 10 TCU 

It is more than surprising to see a Gary Patterson-led team in the bottom of the Big 12 rankings. But it’s unbelievably true as TCU lost to Kansas this week. The Horned Frogs are currently 3–5 and are experiencing their roughest week, month and season since joining the Big 12.