Buy or Sell: Where to bet in Week 12

This week I’m adding a feature to my betting column called the “lock of the week,” a pick I am sure I will get correct. I’m not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. I’m just a college student who watches too much college football and places bets he can’t afford — like most of y’all. This weekly column is where I will give you my best bets for the week in college football. I am not responsible for any money lost.

Last Week: 3–1

Total: 11–8

Lock of the WeekIowa State vs Texas (-3)

I’ve picked Texas only once before in this column and was correct (Oklahoma). Iowa State comes into this game as the hottest team in the Big 12 with five straight wins. Since Texas and Iowa State have started playing each other annually in 2014, the Longhorns are 3–1 against the Cyclones and 2–0 when playing them at home.

Pick: Texas (-3)

Syracuse vs Notre Dame (-10)

Last time I picked against the spread with Notre Dame, the line was 10.5. Notre Dame won by 10. This is my revenge game, and I have faith in the Orange. Or I just really want Notre Dame to lose. Either way, one of us is going down. Oh, and this game is being played on a “neutral site” in the Bronx.

Pick: Syracuse (+10)

Ohio State (-14.5) vs Maryland

Ohio State and Maryland have to be the two most hated, out-of-state programs for Longhorns fans, right? Ohio State is trending in the right direction after a gutsy win over Michigan State last week, and I think an absolute demolition of Maryland is coming this week. The Terrapins have suffered back-to-back losses, and with Kasim Hill done for the year with a torn ACL, I can see the Terps waving the white flag, as this team has more important matters to focus on than football.

Pick: Ohio State (-14.5)

Middle Tennessee vs Kentucky (-16.5)

Here’s my theory on why Kentucky football has regressed to mediocrity: When John Calipari and the Wildcats received a vicious beatdown from Duke and Zion Williamson, Calipari could’ve had boosters bugging him about how the football team was performing better than the basketball team. They hung with Georgia for the first quarter but since then have looked like the 7–6 Kentucky teams of the past. Middle Tennessee enters this weekend on a four game winning streak and winners of six in their last seven. Stick to basketball, Kentucky.

Pick: Middle Tennessee (+16.5)