Longhorns gobble Tech in time for Thanksgiving

volleyball_2018-11-08_Volleyball_Ryan
Ryan Lam

After clinching the Big 12 Championship against Baylor last week, the team continues to play for postseason seeding.

The team was able to improve its stock heading into the yearly tournament, sweeping Texas Tech in Lubbock with scores of 25-21, 25-21 and 25-18.

“I was pleased. I think that we were steady the whole night and did a good job with our serving,” head coach Jerritt Elliott said. “I thought our defense was some of the best it’s been all season long. We can still eliminate a couple of the unforced errors but besides that overall it was a good performance by us.”

The freshmen stole the show, leading the team in several statistical categories. Middle blocker Brionne Butler led the Longhorns in blocks with five, while libero Sydney Petersen collected a team-high 12 digs. Setter Jhenna Gabriel also finished with 43 assists.

“It’s been amazing. They are obviously a very talented group,” Elliott said. “I’ve said it from the beginning they may be one of our deepest and most talented group we’ve had across the board. This is a group that has actually been helping us win.”

After winning the Big 12 last week, there may have been a let down performance right after, as the goal that the team set out with was achieved. However, this team has remained focused, even after accomplishing one of the biggest goals of the season.

“One of our biggest goals was to win the Big 12,” middle blocker Morgan Johnson said. “That’s what we have our sights on every single year. For us to achieve that goal is huge for us because it shows all the hard work we put in during the summer and the spring. Getting another ring is awesome.”

The team has one game left in its regular season slate this season. Texas will host West Virginia on Nov. 24 at 1 p.m., finishing the season at home after closing out last season on the road. While the team has already won the Big 12 and locked up a spot in the postseason, there is still something to play for.

The top four teams receive No. 1 seeds in the tournament, and the Longhorns are currently sitting at No. 5 in the rankings. Should they defeat the Mountaineers in commanding fashion, and a top four team get upset, Texas could find itself with a number one seed.