State lawmaker introduces bill to renew University of Texas, A&M rivalry game

Football2018-10-08_Texas_vs_OU_Carlos
Carlos Garcia

A Texas state lawmaker filed a bill this week that would require an annual football game between UT and A&M on the fourth Thursday, Friday or Saturday of November. Rep. Lyle Larson, a Republican from San Antonio, said he hopes to restore “one of the greatest rivalries in the history of college football.”

In a series of tweets, Larson reminisced on the old days when the Longhorns and the Aggies would battle it out on the football field.

Larson said he wants graduating classes to be able to “experience the home and away game that [his class] did.”

This isn’t the first time there's been a push to reinstate the game. In 2013, state Rep. Ryan Guillen filed House Bill 778, a similar bill that went no where but would have required the two schools to participate in the rivalry game, or athletes would be docked from receiving athletic scholarships.

Guillen’s 2013 bill stated, “If the University of Texas at Austin or Texas A&M University refuses to play the football game required by Subsection (a) in a year, the university may not award to any student for the following academic year an athletic scholarship, grant or similar financial assistance funded with state money…."

This recent bill has sparked some talk on Twitter as people wonder if these laws are the best way for lawmakers to spend their time.

Despite all the controversy this bill has brought to Twitter, some fans said they would want to see this game happen. Larson tweeted a statement from A&M’s coach Jimbo Fisher.