Safety Brandon Jones skipping NFL Draft, will return for senior season

Katie Bauer

Texas safety Brandon Jones has decided to forgo the NFL Draft and will return to campus for his senior season.

Jones posted a video on his personal Twitter account Thursday afternoon while the team subsequently released his statement:

"I got really good feedback from the NFL, but with my injury I felt I had more to prove not only to myself, but to my team as well. I see where this team is headed and I want to be a part of something great. Getting my degree from The University of Texas was a huge thing to both myself and my mom, and I know that will take me further in life than football. I'm so very grateful for the opportunity to play at such a prestigious level and want to finish what we've started."

Jones had been mulling over the decision for some time, but after December’s loss in the Big 12 Championship game, mentioned that he was leaning toward coming back for another year.

The return of Jones is a tremendous boost for the Texas defense, which ranked third among Big 12 teams in terms of yards allowed per game. Jones recorded 70 tackles for the Longhorns — fourth most on the team — despite appearing in only 10 games due to an ankle injury.

The returning senior also recovered two fumbles this season and intercepted two passes, more than any other Longhorn besides opposite safety Caden Sterns who led the team with four.