Julián Castro, former San Antonio mayor and HUD secretary, announces run for president

castro1
Joshua Guenther

Julián Castro, former Housing and Urban Development secretary, declared his candidacy for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination Saturday morning.

The former San Antonio mayor made his announcement from the Plaza Guadalupe in his hometown neighborhood.

“In years to come, we must move forward as one nation, toward one destiny, and that destiny is to be the smartest, healthiest, fairest and most prosperous nation on Earth,” Julián Castro said.

Julián Castro joins what is looking to be a crowded field of candidates vying for the Democratic nomination. U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., formed a presidential exploratory committee late last year and is expected to soon announce a final decision on whether she will be running. Former Vice President Joe Biden, U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vermont, and former U.S. Rep. Beto O’Rourke of El Paso are also considering runs.

Julián Castro and his twin brother Joaquin, a congressman of San Antonio, have long been rumored as potential presidential candidates. And on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert in December, Joaquin Castro confirmed his brother’s intentions.

“50 years ago, if you asked somebody from around the world … where on Earth they would want to go if they left their home country, for all of the challenges we faced as a nation, for all of the bitterness that existed … the answer is as very clearly the United States or America,” Joaquin Castro said. “It is up to all of us, and most of all the president we elect, to make sure 50 years from now, the answer is still our beloved United States of America.”

There was also speculation that one of them might have run for governor in 2018, but neither did. The Democratic nomination instead went to former Dallas County Sheriff Lupe Valdez.

The candidate’s first trip for his campaign will be to Puerto Rico, which is still recovering from a hurricane that devastated the U.S. territory in 2017.