Short students can now play in a league of their own

recsports_2018-01_25_Basketball_Andrew
Photo by: Andrew McElvany

Students less than 6 feet tall do not have to worry about being dunked on by someone a foot taller during an intramural basketball game with the return of a 6 foot and under league. 

The 6 foot and under league was first created in the 1970s, but it was cut last spring due to lack of participation. Darci Doll, associate director of recreational sports, said the league is back because many students voiced their desire to play in the league again.

“The biggest thing we do is listen to the student participants and the students not participating, so we can offer things that they are interested in,” Doll said.

Doll said the league is popular because the majority of the approximately 12,000 students who participate in intramural sports are less than 6 feet tall, and it gives students an equal playing field — or rather court — to try different positions and make new friends.

“In the 6 feet and under league, someone who has never been a center can try it and just really have a fun experience,” Doll said. “Intramural sports are a great way to make memories with friends, build a sense of community and enjoy all the great RecSports facilities.”

Nathan Ha, sports manager for recreational sports, is 5 feet 10 inches tall and said he plans to create a team in the league because height shouldn’t stop anyone from playing basketball.

“I think it’s a great, great addition because there are so many people out there who are really good at basketball — they just have such a height disadvantage,” Ha said. “Now that we have the 6 feet and under league, we finally have our chance to shine.”

Anthropology senior Mackenzie Finklea said she would be interested in playing in the league because she has played basketball in the past, but she doesn’t want to go up against someone much taller than she is.

“Traditionally, you have to be really, really tall to play basketball and a position like point guard, but what if I want to be a medium sized post?” Finklea said. “It would be nice to find an intramural team that is inclusive and also competitive because I have a competitive spirit and sometimes that is hard to do around people who are a lot taller.”

While there is not a 6 foot and under league specifically for women because of a lack of female players, women are welcome to play in the male leagues. Doll said co-ed intramural sports have specific rules
regarding the number of male and female players on the court at one time. However, women who play in the men’s league don’t have these same rules. 

“I would be hesitant (to play with guys) because the competitive nature between co-ed teams and just women’s teams tends to be different, but I would still want to try it,” Finklea said. “I would be really excited if they had an under 6 feet womens’ basketball league.”