Former Texas target Bru McCoy to transfer from USC

mccoy_bru
CJ Vogel

Five-star athlete Bru McCoy has entered his name into the NCAA transfer portal, with Texas as the leading favorite to land the USC Trojan, according to multiple sources.

McCoy, who attended Mater Dei High School in California, committed to USC over Texas on Jan. 5 at the All-American Bowl. McCoy had enrolled at USC and began taking classes this semester.

According to 247Sports’ composite rankings, McCoy is the No. 1 athlete in the 2019 class and the No. 9 player overall.

If McCoy does intend to transfer to Texas, it would be Tom Herman’s second five-star recruit of the 2019 class alongside ATH Jordan Whittington (Cuero, TX). Herman has put together another impressive recruiting class, with this year’s ranking fifth overall, according to 247Sports.

While McCoy has not said anything publicly, his intention to transfer may be due to the recent departure of newly hired offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury. Kingsbury, who parted ways with Texas Tech at the end of last season, was hired by USC at the beginning of December.

Three days after McCoy announced his decision to attend USC, the Arizona Cardinals announced the hire of Kingsbury as their head coach.

If McCoy does indeed transfer from USC, he would have to sit out the next year unless granted a waiver by the NCAA, making him eligible to play immediately. A decision from McCoy is expected soon, with the last day to add/drop classes at the University of Texas coming Feb. 6.