7 date ideas for Galentine’s and Valentine’s

0204_BixieMathieu%28valentinesdates%29
Bixie Mathieu

Ditch Netflix this Valentine’s season and try something new.

Whether you’re celebrating Galentine’s with your girlfriends or having a romantic night out with your date, there are plenty of opportunities to get out of the house and have fun with the people you love. Skip the stress of Googling “creative date ideas” and check out some of the Valentine’s festivities happening near you this February.

Free Screening of “A Star Is Born”

Your Galentines deserve the world, and by “world” we mean watching Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga belt “Shallow” while eating chocolate-covered strawberries. UT Campus Events + Entertainment is hosting two free showings of “A Star Is Born” for UT students, staff, faculty and a free guest on Valentine’s Day. The showings will take place at the Texas Union Theater at 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. Outside food and drink is allowed, so plan ahead and bring those chocolate-covered strawberries!

Valentine’s Day Market at Sour Duck Market

Get fancy and take your Galentines out for a day of sweets, live music and shopping. Bakery and smokehouse Sour Duck Market is having a Valentine’s Market on Feb. 10 from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. The event will feature local Austin vendors’ chocolate, soaps and other products along with live music and special Valentine’s treats, such as macarons, bonbons, cookies and tarts.

Candle Making Workshop

Stop spending all your money on candles and teach your significant other how to make them for you. The University Co-op Art + Supply is hosting a free candle-making workshop on Thursday from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. Supplies are provided and the workshop is first come, first serve.

Free cheese plates at Easy Tiger

If you and your gals are 21 or over, celebrate Galentine’s week with a wine and cheese night on Feb. 7. Easy Tiger Bake Shop & Beer Garden on 6th Street is celebrating Antonelli's ninth anniversary on Thursday with free cheese plates for the first 16 tables, half prices on rare beer bottles and happy hour specials from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Valentine’s Day Pop-Up

Procrastinate on school work this Sunday and snag some free kombucha with your Galentines. Space 24 Twenty is having a Valentine’s Day Pop-Up on Feb. 10 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. in the Urban Outfitters Women’s Store on Guadalupe Street. The Pop-Up will feature a love note writing station with custom postcards and free shipping, complimentary cookies from Maize Bakery, GT’s “Pure Love” kombucha, a 35mm film portrait station and a raffle entry to win a floral bouquet.

Texas Vietnamese Students Association Benefit Luncheon

Get philanthropic this Valentine’s week and take your date out for a luncheon with a cause. The Texas Vietnamese Student Association is hosting their annual benefit luncheon at the SAC Ballroom on Feb. 10 from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Guests will be served a three-course meal with “a little taste of Vietnam.” Tickets are $12 for members and $15 for nonmembers, and raffle tickets for prizes will be sold at 2 for $1. All proceeds will go to Children of Vietnam, a global organization that benefits poor, orphaned, disabled and vulnerable children. Tickets can be bought at the VSA speedway table on Feb. 4-8, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Missed Connections ATX: Galentine’s Edition at Scoot Inn

If you’re tired of the endless Valentine’s propaganda, hit up your Galentines and head to Scoot Inn on Feb. 15 for a night of comedy. This improv comedy show is “inspired by lovesick Austinites seeking a second chance at romance online,” and starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are available online for $12, and guests must be 21 or over.