Shane Buechele announces graduate transfer to SMU

Shane_Buechele_2018-10-13_Texas_v_Baylor_Angela
Angela Wang

Shane Buechele is staying in the Lone Star State this fall. He just won’t be in Austin.

The junior quarterback announced late Thursday he will transfer to SMU to play out his last year of eligibility after graduation in May. 

Buechele posted a statement on Twitter to announce his decision, saying, “Between the two staffs of coach (Charlie) Strong and coach (Tom) Herman, I have not only learned to be a better football player and student, but more importantly a better son, brother, and teammate.”

In his three years at Texas, Buechele threw for 4,636 yards and 30 touchdowns in his career, guiding the Longhorns to a 10–9 record as a starter.

Thank you Longhorn Nation. On to the next chapter. pic.twitter.com/3Wk65mSByf

— Shane Buechele (@BGShaneBuechele) February 7, 2019

While Buechele was a starter his freshman year in 2016, quarterback Sam Ehlinger entered the fold after Buechele missed the Longhorns’ week two game against San Jose State. The two split time for the remainder of the season, but Ehlinger was permanently awarded the job during fall camp in August.

In response to Buechele’s tweet, Ehlinger responded, saying, “Words cannot describe how thankful I am for everything you taught me on and off the field. Thank you for everything.”

Words cannot describe how thankful I am for everything you taught me on and off the field. Thank you for everything. Can’t wait to watch you tear it up next year. Love you bro https://t.co/DUJ1gfynZW

— Sam Ehlinger (@sehlinger3) February 7, 2019

Buechele is the second quarterback to transfer from Texas this winter after freshman Cameron Rising left for Utah in January. Texas has four remaining signal callers on the roster with Sam Ehlinger as the starter and Casey Thompson, 2019 recruit Roschon Johnson and preferred walk-on Sam Saxton competing for the backup spot.