University Unions expands food truck service to include breakfast hours

FOODTRUCK_2019-2_12_Assignment_Samantha
Samantha Dorisca

More breakfast options are now available on campus after University Unions expanded food truck hours starting Feb. 4.

Food trucks now serve breakfast outside of Gregory Gym from 7-10 a.m. Monday-Thursday. Lisa Diaz, the program coordinator for University Unions, said they decided to offer breakfast services to give students another option to get food on campus. 

“We thought that students would appreciate having another option for breakfast,” Diaz said. “We are excited to bring this to students.”

Currently, three food trucks are listed to serve breakfast at Greg: Four Brothers, which serves Venezuelan food; Chilaquil, which serves Mexican food; and Mmmpanadas, which serves stuffed pastries. Breakfast hours are subject to change based on feedback, Diaz said.

“We are offering the option to all of the food trucks that are currently approved already with the University to also participate and offer breakfast,”Diaz said. 

Food trucks began serving food on campus in April 2017 as part of a Student Government-led initiative. The trucks initially only operated from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. during lunchtime, but later extended their hours to include late-night options. 

“Breakfast service is just the latest iteration in the food truck program, which began in spring 2017,” Diaz said. “The breakfast times will kind of vary each week depending on availability of the food trucks and demand. We are just kind of looking at both to meet the needs of everyone.”

Chilaquil owner Orlando Aguirre said his food truck specializes in chilaquiles, a traditional dish from north-central Mexico. He said he hopes to introduce students to food they may not otherwise come across.

“There’s people from (Mexico), specifically, that love their food, and there’s those people who aren’t from that country that can have a little bit of that culture,” Aguirre said. “I think the best way to know a culture is by their food.”

Kevin Vasquez, a chemical engineering graduate student, said he appreciates the variety of cultures the food trucks bring to campus.

“I feel like we are losing so many restaurants on Guad that would bring diversity to our food options, and the only things that seem to stick around are really traditional eateries,” Vasquez said. “The food trucks spice up what is available on campus.”