Longhorn women aim for seventh consecutive Big 12 swimming and diving title

wswimming_2018-11-29_Texas_Invite_Angela
Angela Wang

Texas has sat atop the NCAA standings for most of the 2018-19 regular season, but that doesn’t mean the now second-ranked Longhorns are overlooking this week’s Big 12 conference meet. 

“We never want to take the Big 12 for granted,” Texas head coach Carol Capitani said. “We have kids who are already going to the NCAAs. But we like to win. We like to compete. That’s true whether we’re competing against other teams or against ourselves.” 

Capitani’s point is supported by the dominance her teams have historically shown in postseason play. Since she assumed head coaching duties in 2012, Texas has claimed six-straight Big 12 titles. For the seniors on roster, this week marks an opportunity to put a bow on a record-setting collegiate career. 

“This senior class will be a hard class to say goodbye to,” Capitani said. “They’re all tough. They’ve come a long way. They’re a big class. They’re a mighty class. And they’ve taught others how to lead.”

Among the 11 seniors on the team are seven All-American performers: Remedy Rule, Quinn Carrozza, Anelise Diener, Joanna Evans, Brooke Hansen, Mimi Schneider and Murphy Bromberg. 

The group has provided the leadership for what has been Capitani’s most impressive squad to date. During the regular season, the Longhorns broke Big 12 conference records in four different events: the 50 free, 100 free, 200 free relay and 400 free relay. 

Heading into postseason play, Texas boasts the top time among this year’s Big 12 competition in every individual category, with the exception of the 200 breaststroke. 

Another benefit for the Longhorns this week is the opportunity to swim at home. The Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center has been a comfortable venue for the Texas women’s swimming and diving team, which has won 11 of the last 12 conference meets hosted in Austin. 

“That’s why I enjoy our conference meet so much,” Capitani said. “It’s at home and it’s in front of our fans and families. It allows them to just swim free and enjoy it.”