Longhorn women dominate third day of Big 12 meet

Grace_Ariola_2019-02_28_Texas_Swimming_Anthony
Anthony Mireles

It was another day at the office for the Texas women's swimming and diving team.

The second-ranked Longhorns continued their winning ways during Friday’s portion of the Big 12 Championship by sweeping every individual and team contest, including the 100 yard butterfly, 400 IM, 200 freestyle, 100 breaststroke, 100 backstroke and 200 freestyle relay.

The meet has come to resemble an intrasquad exhibition event for Texas, which holds a 307 point lead over its league competition heading into the final day of action.

“At times its difficult to stay engaged when the results are so lopsided,” said Remedy Rule. “But ultimately, we’re racing the clock, and we’re racing each other. We put it all out on the line whether we’re competing against someone else or not.”

Rule started and finished the night for Longhorns. She took gold in the opening event, the 100 butterfly, before helping her team to a victory in the 200 free relay to conclude the evening.

For the senior, it was just another addition to an already crowded trophy case. Since her arrival in Austin, Rule has been one of the head coach Carol Capitani’s most consistent performers, racking up thirteen first-place Big 12 medals over the course of her four seasons.

“As a senior, it’s definitely been an emotional meet. It’s my last one. But I’ve been happy with how I’ve been able channel my emotions to help my team,” said Rule.

Rule is apart of a star-studded senior class which is on the verge of winning its fourth conference championship in as many years.

“It’s surreal. As a class, we’ve all grown so much in the four years we’ve been here. Swimming for Texas has been such a big part of our lives for so long, and it's scary how its all going to change,” Rule said.

But for Rule and several of her senior teammates, their collegiate careers are still far from over. Texas will be well-represented in several week’s time when Lee & Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center hosts the NCAA championship meet.

“I’m so excited (for the NCAAs),” said Rule. “It’s at home. We have tons of alumni coming in to support us. I love this pool and think it’s one of the best in the country. We just need to stay focused on the little things. We want to rehearse our race strategies everytime so we know what minor tweaks need to be made.”

The last day of Big 12 action will commence Saturday morning. Preliminaries are slated to begin at 10 AM, followed by finals at 6 PM.