Torn labrum ends DJ Petrinsky’s senior season, will file for medical hardship waiver

Baseball_Brief_2018-04-25_Texas_Baseball_vs_Houston_Katie
Katie Bauer

The Longhorns received some tough news Wednesday morning as senior leader DJ Petrinsky will miss the remainder of the 2019 season with a torn labrum, a University spokesperson announced.

The shoulder injury was already beginning to take a toll on Petrinsky’s production in the 2019 season. Petrinsky was relegated to playing first base to begin the year. Multiple sources indicated that Petrinsky was dealing with shoulder issues for most of the winter workout sessions which caused him to make the switch from catcher to first base and designated hitter during the beginning of the season.

Petrinsky was the everyday starting catcher last season, playing in 61 games for Texas in its run to the College World Series. He hit .257 with nine home runs and 29 RBIs.

Through 11 games in the 2019 season , Petrinsky was hitting .256 with zero home runs and just five RBIs. 

The University also stated in the release that Petrinsky would file for a medical hardship waiver, which would grant him eligibility for the 2020 season.

Moving forward, the Longhorns will continue to start Michael McCann at catcher, while it’s looking more and more likely that Tate Shaw begins to see more time in the lineup at either first base or designated hitter.