Hammer leads Longhorns to second consecutive runner-up finish

golf_2017-04-15_Texas_Shootout_Golf_Stephanie
Stephanie Martinez-Arndt

The Longhorn freshmen put together a dominant performance again this week, boasting three top-10 finishes, including another runner-up by Cole Hammer. 

Texas finished second by one stroke to Arizona State at the Lamkin Classic in San Diego, with a final round eerily similar to last week’s showing. Hammer made an incredible run on the back nine with three birdies and an eagle, but he bogeyed the par-4 18th to slip into a three-man, sudden-death playoff. Another bogey on the first playoff hole all but handed the tournament to Mason Andersen of Arizona State.

The freshmen have notched eight top-10 finishes combined since the start of the season. Hammer — who has never finished outside the top 25 in a collegiate tournament  has contributed three of these top-10 appearances, while Pierceson Coody has added two and Parker Coody three. 

Hammer was also selected to the 2019 Arnold Palmer Cup team, where he will compete alongside five of the best collegiate players in the country. He will represent the U.S. as they compete against the International Team in June at the Alotian Club in Arkansas. Doug Ghim, who now competes professionally on the Web.Com Tour, was the last Longhorn selected to the team in 2017.

The other top-10 finishes this week came from the Coody twins. Pierceson played well in the first two rounds, shooting 71 and 65, respectively. A double-bogey on the second hole followed by a string of four bogeys in a row was enough to knock him out of contention, leading to a final round 76 and a tie for fourth place — his best individual finish. Parker played consistently but finished his final round at 2-over par, dropping him into a tie for 10th and his second-straight top-10 finish.

Senior Steven Chervony and junior Spencer Soosman finished in ties for 34th and 38th place, respectively. Sophomore Christoffer Bring, who competed individually this week — meaning his scores did not count toward the team total — tied for 44th.

The Longhorns tee it up again Sunday, March 17 at the Valspar Collegiate Championship in Florida. The Valspar is one of Texas’ final events before the playoffs begin, starting with the Big 12 Championship at the end of April.