Longhorns blow past Lipscomb in last game before Big 12 competition

burke_2019-03-11_Texas_v_TAMUCC_Ryan
Ryan Lam

Five is the number of the day for the Longhorns.

After being ranked fifth in the NCAA's first Ratings Percentage Index (RPI) on Monday, Texas shut out the Lipscomb Bisons 5-0.

The Longhorns stayed an extra day in Tennessee to give themselves one more game to prepare before facing Big 12 competition this weekend.

The game against the Bisons remained scoreless until the fourth inning, when first baseman Lauren Burke hit a two-RBI double to the center wall to give Texas a 2-0 lead.

The momentum continued throughout the fourth inning, when left fielder Kaitlyn Washington hit the ball down the left field line, driving in Burke and extending Texas’ lead to three.

In the circle for the Longhorns was pitcher Miranda Elish, who laid out another dominating performance to improve her record to 7–4. Elish recorded 11 strikeouts against the Bisons and allowed just one hit across seven innings.

Big 12 play will begin for Texas on Friday against Iowa State. Although the Longhorns have a new number to define their play, they’ve never been a team to worry about what is being said in the rankings. Catcher Mary Iakopo emphasized that before their doubleheader against Longwood two weeks ago.

“Like Coach White says, ‘Rankings are for the fan.’ It's not something we really necessarily look at because it doesn’t matter who’s top eight; it’s who makes it to the eight,” Iakopo said.