Dell Technologies CEO to deliver keynote address at this spring commencement

commencement_2016-04-13_Dell_Gabriel
Gabriel Lopez

Michael Dell, chairman and chief executive officer of Dell Technologies, will deliver this year’s keynote address at the University’s 136th Spring Commencement on May 25 at the South Mall. 

“During his freshman year at the University of Texas, Michael Dell founded a computer company that would go on to become one of the most influential technology companies in the world,” UT President Gregory Fenves said in a statement. “By speaking at UT’s 136th Spring Commencement, Michael will be able to tell his story and provide inspiration and wisdom to a new class of Longhorns.” 

After attending UT during the 1980s, Dell founded the Dell Computer Corporation in 1984, later becoming the youngest CEO ever to earn a ranking on the Fortune 500. 

The Michael & Susan Dell Foundation, which helps children living in urban poverty, has committed more than $135 million to the University to help students reach the same goals he once shared as an undergrad.

The 8 p.m. commencement ceremony will be preceded by a concert from the University’s Chamber Singers, Concert Chorale and Wind Ensemble. 

Dell said he is honored to give a speech for the 7,076 students currently eligible to receive their degrees this spring. 

“They have so much opportunity in front of them,” Dell said in a UT News press release. “I look forward to comparing notes from my time at UT, as well as sharing my thoughts about how we can bring technology into balance with our humanity.”