Texas looks to improve upon midweek record against Rice

baseball_2019-04-01_Texas_vs_Xavier_Katie
Katie Bauer

Now more than halfway through its season, Texas baseball has battled rainy weather throughout, from Stanford, California, to Sunday’s downpour in Waco, Texas. Battling physical conditions has become commonplace at times for . the Longhorns.

However, Austin has decided to bless the Longhorns with scorching weather this Tuesday for their game against the Rice Owls. Texas has already faced Rice earlier this season, beating them 11-4. In that matchup, Texas once again battled against bitter conditions in Houston.

The Longhorns are coming off a slow weekend in where they went 1–1 against Baylor. Their first game ended in a disappointing 6-5 loss after initially leading the game 4-0. However, Texas turned the tide on Saturday and came back from behind in a 5-0 deficit to win 8-6.

“They were in a position where they could’ve said, ‘This is not our day,’ or whatever. They didn’t,” head coach David Pierce said in a postgame interview with Texas Sports. “I thought (pitcher) Blair (Henley) gutted it up. He showed true ownership of pitching the baseball today and he gave us seven innings when he didn’t look like he was going to get out of the fourth inning. … This is a great team win. We needed this win big time.”

In Sunday’s game, the Longhorns were able to tally six runs in the first two innings. But due to inclement weather, the game was suspended and they were unable to complete the series comeback over the Bears.

Now, the No. 14 Longhorns look to improve their 21–13 record. In their initial win against Rice, the Longhorns dominated the third and fourth inning to put the score at 8-1.

Key players in the matchup were outfielders Duke Ellis and Eric Kennedy, as well as designated hitter Zach Zubia, catcher DJ Petrinsky and pitcher Cole Quintanilla. Although Petrinsky is now out for the remainder of the season with a shoulder injury, Texas can still rely on its batters and pitchers for a successful showing.

With a 15–5 record at home, the Longhorns have thrived under the lights of UFCU Disch-Falk Field. However, midweek games are still an area of improvement for the Longhorns, who hold a 5–4 record on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Their last midweek game, against Texas A&M, resulted in a 9-6 loss.

Now, the Longhorns must wait until 6:30 p.m. to face the Owls for a second time this season. Not much is certain for tomorrow’s matchup, but Austin natives and baseball players alike can both hope rainy weather is a thing of the past.