Longhorns finish as runner-up once again at Thunderbird Invitational

golf_2017-04-15_Texas_Shootout_Golf_Stephanie
Stephanie Martinez-Arndt

Freshman Cole Hammer led the Longhorns to their third second place finish this spring in the Texas’ final regular season event, the ASU Thunderbird Invitational.

Hammer finished second individually for his sixth straight top-10 finish. He led the field in birdies over the weekend with 17, contributing the most to the team’s total of 60.

Hammer began the final round five shots behind the leader, and despite tying the lowest round of the day with a four-under par 67, he finished second yet again. This tournament marks UT’s third runner-up finish this season, losing back-to-back sudden death playoffs at the Southern Highlands and Lamkin Classic in March. Despite the team not being able to close on a victory thus far, Hammer has the best scoring average on the team and leads the team in top-10 finishes.

Freshman Pierceson Coody had the next best individual result for Texas, tying for 11th place at two-under par for the tournament. His twin brother, Parker, shot identical scores to Coody in rounds two and three but opened with a nine-over par 80, which prevented him from getting into contention. He finished in a tie for 46th, individually.

Meanwhile, senior Steven Chervony, who led the Longhorns in their top-five finish last week at the Augusta Haskins Award Invitational, tied for 34th. Junior Spencer Soosman finished in a tie for 41st. Sophomore Christoffer Bring competed as an individual this week and finished in a tie for 34th.

Texas has a bit of a break before the Big 12 Championship, which will take place at The Greenbrier in West Virginia, host of the Greenbrier Classic on the PGA Tour. Play begins April 26. Looking even further ahead, the Longhorns will have quite the advantage at the NCAA Regional Tournament, which will be played at The University of Texas Golf Club, the team’s home course.