Fairmont Austin displays Longhorn logo to announce sponsorship with UT athletics

Last Sunday, the Fairmont Austin announced its sponsorship of the UT Athletics department for the 2019 football season.

“Fairmont Austin takes great pride in our degree of community involvement here in Austin,” said Michael McMahon, director of sales and marketing for Fairmont Austin. “Though it took quite a bit of cooperation between the different departments of the hotel, we are all glad we were able to have pulled off the logo. Expect more to come from us.”

On the south side of the hotel, a total of 112 windows spanning 20 stories were lit to create the Longhorn logo. Organizing the creation of the logo took approximately one month and the logo could be seen from I-35 headed into Downtown Austin.

“Seeing the logo on the Fairmont was a really cool surprise,” said Hunter Pischke, an electrical and computer engineering freshman. “The athletics department really seems like they are putting their best foot forward when it comes to fan engagement. They’ve revamped the whole game day experience from the creation of Bevo Boulevard to having Ludacris at Longhorn City Limits after this year’s Orange and White game. This sponsorship is another way for everyone, not just students, to really get into game day.”

The idea for the display came from Drew Martin, UT’s executive senior associate athletics director for external affairs.

“There are different ways that you can (promote your sponsors) and still keep fans engaged in ways that are more entertaining than on-field presentation after on-field presentation, weather report after weather report,” Martin said. “We really want to dial back a lot of the over-the-top corporate sponsorship aspects of game day. Let’s have some fun with the band. Let’s have some fun with the video boards, and let’s do some things that are engaging to really keep you invested and keep you having fun.”

As a part of the sponsorship, Fairmont Austin will provide rides to Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, customized room packages for all home games and public parties before home games. The hotel also promises surprises and special guests at some of their Longhorn-themed events.

All events the hotel hosts as a part of their partnership with Texas Athletics are open to the general public.