Texas falls 1-0 in second game of series against Kansas

henley_baseball_2019-03-16_Texas_Baseball_vs_Texas_Tech_Katie
Katie Bauer

Texas can’t seem to find its footing — even against the Kansas Jayhawks, who stand near the bottom of the Big 12. The Longhorns were defeated 1-0 on Saturday in game two of their weekend series.

Even with solid pitching from Blair Henley, the Longhorns were unable to get on the scoreboard to even the score with the Jayhawks.

The Jayhawks first run came early in the bottom of the first inning, after Henley allowed two hits and one walk that would inevitably put the Jayhawks up 1-0.

From there, however, Henley would pitch a defensively sound game, only allowing four more hits, two more walks and tallying seven strikeouts.

“Defensively, we were really good and Blair pitched outstanding,” Texas head coach David Pierce said in a postgame interview with Texas Sports.

But the Longhorns generated no offensive output in the nine innings of play. Their only two hits came from outfielder Eric Kennedy.

Pierce attributes some of this to Kansas’ pitcher Ryan Cyr, who struck out six Longhorn batters.

“Well I mean, (Cyr) makes three pitches,” Pierce said. “We had some pitches to hit, we had some opportunities with 2-0 counts, 2-1 counts, hitters counts … We just didn’t take care of it, but you got to credit him. He pitched really well.”

Now trailing 2–0 in the series, the Longhorns have no way of winning the series, and their chances of entering the Big 12 Tournament are disappearing quickly. Pierce is not sure what answers the Longhorns are looking for, but knows their mentality has something to do with it.

“Oh, there's a ton of mentality that's at stake,” Pierce said. “I can’t tell you if it’s a mental thing or just physically we’re pressing a little bit trying to do too much to get in some hitters counts and got an opportunity to even hit a base home ball — whatever it takes to get a spark — and we just couldn’t get that going today.”