Audio editor drops the mic

JTs_30_Eddie
Eddie Gaspar

I’ve worked at the Texan since the fall semester of 2016.

I’ve been a department head since the spring semester of 2018.

I’ve felt like I belonged since about two weeks ago.

Being the podcast (now audio) editor at the Texan is a weird experience. Your work isn’t in the paper, so you don’t really need to be in the office every day. 

But because my work wasn’t in the paper, I desperately wanted to be in the office every day. I wanted the chance to prove myself to the talented people around me. 

The great irony: I don’t even listen to podcasts.

When I took over this department last year, I had one expectation for myself: Show up.

I thought showing up could help us make better podcasts. It did. But I never thought it could take me from feeling like a complete imposter to feeling like I was part of a family.

Yeah, I learned more about podcasts and social media and myself, but that’s not what matters. 

I found the best people on the Forty Acres in a dimly lit office with a conference table that doubles as a ping-pong court. 

To Alex, Ross, Lillian, Zeke, Paul, Katie, Carlos, Anthony, Angela, Megan, Rena, Leslie, Kirsten, Andrea, Catherine, Peter and so many more — it’s been a blast working with you.

To my managing editors: Forrest, you let me rebrand a department that didn’t have enough of a brand for anyone to even notice. Ellie, you hired me twice — the two biggest mistakes you made here.

Spencer, I’m glad we reconnected here. You’re going to be a great editor-in-chief, and I’ve loved working with you — but you’ll notice I left before I was working for you.

Sara, I’m in constant awe of you. You’re passionate, dedicated and irritatingly reliable. I can’t wait to see what you do next at the Texan and beyond. I don’t listen to a lot of podcasts, but I’ll always make an exception for Sara Schleede.

Kuehler, we built something together. I’ve learned so much from you — what makes a good audio story, how to be a better co-worker and your true feelings about Jeb Bush. I really could’ve done without that last part, and I certainly could’ve done better with the second.

Liza, you’re the reason I came back this semester. Hell, you’re the reason I even bothered showing up for the past two. Our relationship is evidence of the Texan’s need for an HR department, but I’ll always be grateful you were willing to skirt the rules with me. 

We may have gotten our start in the basement, but here’s to our life above ground — with no end in sight.

Thanks for listening.