Looking forward: Fall 2019

aTOWERMUGSTOCKcorrectcrop
Caleb Kuntz

Campus accesibility

With little parking available and no alternative options, students with chronic illnesses face additional barriers in order to get to class safely. Despite current accommodations, these students also have difficulty when receiving additional help due to a lack of awareness. Facing these challenges daily is an uphill battle.

Student Government executive alliance

Next year, student body president Camron Goodman and vice president Amie Jean want to create a Transfer and Non-Traditional Student Center, according to their platform points. Other goals include broadening Sure Walk’s role, carrying out a Student Government resolution regarding voluntary sexual assault training for student groups and establishing optional training tags that show students what sensitivity training professors have completed.

Layoffs

More layoffs are expected at the UT System as the System changes to a more “service-provider” business model, following recommendations from the previous Chancellor’s administration. Earlier this semester, UT System Chancellor James Milliken mentioned adopting the Chicago Statement, a set of principles that outline the System’s commitment to free speech on campus, though the System has not yet adopted the statement.

The Lege foing forward

The 86th Texas Legislative session will conclude on May 27, and June 16 is the deadline for Gov. Greg Abbott to sign or veto bills. On Aug. 26 all signed bills — except those that are effective immediately or specify a different effective date — become law. The Daily Texan is keeping an eye on legislation about free speech, Title IX reporting and electric scooters.

Admissions scandal

In April, Michael Center, former University of Texas men’s tennis coach Michael Center, pled guilty to taking part in a nationwide scheme to admit wealthy students into renowned universities.

In exchange for “incarceration at the low end” of the sentencing range, United States District Judge Richard Stearns accepted a guilty plea deal with Center.

Center’s sentence hearing will take place Oct. 30 in Boston.

Texas Softball

The No. 8-ranked Texas Longhorns softball team is heading into the Big 12 Championship on a five-game winning streak. Texas comes in as the No. 3 seed for the tournament, and will face second-seeded Oklahoma State and fifth-seeded Iowa State in the pool play on May 10 at USA Hall of Fame Complex in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

Admissions Welcome Center

The new Admissions Welcome Center, located on the ground floor of the Perry-Castañeda Library, is set to be completed by fall. While the current Visitor Center is off-campus at Walter Webb Hall on Guadalupe and 25th streets, UT Admissions hope the location and accessibility of the library will provide prospective students a better representation of daily
campus life.

Austin Transportation Department

The Austin Transportation Department published the findings and recommendations of the West Campus lighting study in February, complete with short-, mid- and long-term plans to improve lighting in West Campus. The short-term plan, which should be completed over the summer, states the city will repair non-functioning fixtures, and crews will trim tree limbs obstructing existing lights.