Texas shortstop forgoes senior season, signs MLB contract

2018_06_19_Hamilton_Texas_v_Florida
Anthony Mireles

Former Texas shortshop David Hamilton announced on Twitter Friday night that he will forego his senior year at Texas and sign with the Milwaukee Brewers. Hamilton's announcement came after he was drafted in the eighth round of the MLB Draft by the Brewers.

Hamilton batted .256 and racked up 57 RBIs in 125 games in his collegiate career at Texas and won the Spike Owen Defensive Player of the Year award as a freshman.

The shortshop’s collegiate career came to a screeching halt when he was forced to sit out his entire junior season due to a torn Achilles after what had been a breakout sophomore season. In Hamilton’s sophomore season, he earned second-team All-Big 12 honors, raised his batting average from .218 to .291 and lead off for the Longhorns with a .404 on-base average.

“This obviously wasn't how I saw my junior year going,” Hamilton said on Twitter. “Sitting out this year was hard. I wanted to make Texas proud. I can't wait to get my career started with the (Brewers) this week, but Longhorn Nation, I'm so honored that I got to be your shortstop. Hook 'Em forever.”

With the possibility of using a medical redshirt year, Hamilton still had two years of college eligibility that he decided to forgo to play in the Brewers farm system. 

He became the last player of the three Longhorns selected in this year’s draft to sign with their teams, after Blair Henley signed with the Houston Astros and Ryan Reynolds signed with the Chicago Cubs.