Longhorns compete across country in Cape Cod League

Kubichek_2019-03-06_Texas_v_UTRGV_Anthony
Anthony Mireles

College baseball has officially been over for nearly a month, but a few Longhorns have been playing in Massachusetts, proving that there truly is no offseason. 

Here’s how the Longhorns have fared against other top collegiate competition:

Kolby Kubichek

2-2, 30 IP, 0.90 ERA, 34 SO, 9 BB 

The right-handed sophomore has been absolutely dominant in his six starts so far for the Chatham Anglers. Kubichek earned Cape Cod All-Star honors after holding opposing hitters to just 16 hits in 30 innings with a 0.90 ERA. Perhaps even more impressive is his strikeout-to-walk ratio: 34/9. 

Dawson Merryman 

1-0, 13 IP, 2.76 ERA, 13 SO, 8 BB 

The JUCO transfer from Midland College is the Longhorns’ second All-Star in the Cape Cod League. In 13 relief outings, Merryman has totaled four saves and only allowed eight hits. The right-hander also plays for the Chatham Anglers and could be a potential back-end bullpen piece for a Texas team that struggled to finish games late in 2019.

Ty Madden

1-1, 23.1 IP, 3.47 ERA, 21 SO, 12 BB 

Madden, the third pitcher and sophomore to play for the Chatham Anglers on this list, pitched well in his freshman season with a 3.40 ERA and a 4–1 record in eight starts. He’s built on his strong start with what has been an impressive Cape Cod performance. His only mishap so far has been a poor start on July 11 against Falmouth, where he allowed four earned runs and eight hits in three innings. Before that start, his ERA was 2.20, and Madden was holding opposing batters to a .175 batting average.

Duke Ellis

.239 AVG, 2 RBI, 10 BB, 19 SO 

The outfielder and senior who led the Longhorns in walks in 2019 notched 10 walks in 67 at-bats so far in the Cape League, where he’s batting .239 but holds an impressive on-base percentage of .367. Moving from the Cotuit Kettleers to the Brewster Whitecaps, Ellis figures to again start as Texas’s center fielder.

Coy Cobb

1-0, 11 IP, 6.54 ERA, 10 SO, 8 BB 

Another right-handed sophomore, Cobb has struggled more than his other Longhorn counterparts. But his strong freshman season, when he held a 3.45 ERA in 44.1 innings, seems to suggest that his struggles could be the cause of small sample size — Cobb has only pitched 11 innings and only started three games.