Best albums of summer 2019

Igor courtesy Chalice Studios
Courtesy of Chalice Studios

It’s been a hot girl and city boy type of summer. After multiple listens, The Daily Texan has chosen five albums that have stood out in our summer playlists.

In no particular order, here are the best albums to have graced our ears this summer.

Igor by Tyler, The Creator: Released on May 17, 2019

Tyler, The Creator’s latest album, Igor, is another classic in the rapper’s growing discography. It is not Bastard, Wolf, Cherry Bomb or Flower Boy, the Grammy-nominated album that redefined Tyler’s sound. Igor is a perfect follow-up to his more recent work as he builds upon the convergence of sound between funk, jazz, rap and soul. The album is a breakup album that explores a dying romantic relationship and its aftermath. The album is filled with symphonic synths and addicting hooks, as heard in “Earfquake.” Throughout its structured material and seamless transitions, Igor is a lock for one of the best albums of the year.

Willow by Willow: Released on July 19, 2019

Willow Smith released one of the most creative and best-sounding albums of the year. Willow taps into the core of harmonizing vocals and soulful rhythms to elevate her sound and music. Introducing a sound she has been working on since her latest release, Willow is a testament to the singer’s maturity both individually and sonically. Its lyricism rings softly as the smoothness of the singer’s voice captivates. The ending to album, “Overthinking IT,” is an amazing climactic finish to the album. The work Smith put into Willow instantly moves the listener to hit the replay button over and over again.

First Taste by Ty Segall: Released on Aug. 2, 2019

Psychedelic rock artist Ty Segall released First Taste, an album that warrants a complete listen from beginning to end. Ty Segall picks up his guitar, amp and voice to create a psychedelic experience masked in distortion and eclectic guitar riffs. First Taste’s charm gathers listeners from across the spectrum with its enticing and unique sound. Psychedelic rock is almost ingrained in the Austin music scene’s DNA, but for those who haven’t explored the genre, First Taste is the perfect place to start.

Oasis by J Balvin and Bad Bunny: Released on June 28, 2019

Oasis  is the perfect sound for a hot summer day by the beach. Two of the most popular Latinx artists blew up the music world with the release of Oasis. J Balvin and Bad Bunny have been spearheading the rise of Latinx music in the U.S. charts. Their latest collaborative release follows the Spanish trap that has been moving fans across dance floors over the past few years. “La Canción” and “Yo Le Llego” are sensual experiences that bring out the romantic nature in their Spanish music. The artists created an album that complements their individual music well, similar to what Watch The Throne did for Kanye West and Jay-Z.

Fever by Megan Thee Stallion: Released on May 17, 2019

The creator of “hot girl summer” and newest XXL Freshman dropped what is arguably one the hardest-hitting albums of the summer. Spitting slick lyricism and a natural sense of bravado, Megan Thee Stallion takes the sounds of Houston to the charts with her debut album, Fever. The female rapper spews confidence in “Cash Shit” and fills the entirety of the album with head-bopping, body-moving basses and snares. Megan Thee Stallion is one of the hottest rappers blowing up — a true can’t-miss in this year’s list of rising artists.