5 thrift stores easily accessible by public transit

2019-08-27-Campus_Thrifting_Tips_Joshua
Joshua Guenther

Austin is home to both independent and chain thrift shops that boast thousands of pre-owned options to revamp anyone’s wardrobe.

However, for particularly savvy students, there are a few select shops at the top of the list with realistic pricing and accessibility by public transportation. Here are five of the best thrift shops for students to visit near campus.

1. Goodwill Central Texas – North Lamar

This Goodwill location has so many options and receives donations from brands such as Madewell, Banana Republic, Eddie Bauer and Ann Taylor LOFT. While there is no set cost for articles of clothing, depending on the brand, a high-end blouse or shirt can be purchased for $4 to $12. Pants, mostly name brands, run a similar margin ranging anywhere from $8 to $15. This is one of the most directly accessible locations as students can take the 801 bus from the Dean Keeton or West Mall stations and get off at Brentwood. This store is also conveniently located next to a Half Price Books and many lunch spots.

2. Flamingos Vintage Pound

Heading into North Campus, Flamingos Vintage Pound, at 2915 Guadalupe St., sells vintage clothes and shoes by the pound. Clothing is priced by type, so skirts will be one price and shirts will be another. On average, prices tend to be similar to Goodwill or less, depending on how heavy the garment is. There are also vintage letter jackets and university sweaters if a throwback Halloween costume is on the radar. Flamingos is located within walking distance of campus.

3. Goodwill Central Texas – Lake Austin

Similar to the North Lamar location, this store carries high-end brands at Goodwill prices. However, the most common brands are a bit different, including more plus-size friendly brands such as Chico’s, Dressbarn and Lane Bryant. While this location is not located near many other stores, its placement in the Lake Austin neighborhood promises some serious high-end steals. The easiest way to get to this location is by catching the 18 bus at the Enfield/Pease stop located on Enfield Road and get off at Exposition/Lake Austin.

4. Goodwill Boutique

As far as thrift stores go, Goodwill Boutique is on the higher end of the shopping spectrum. The North Lamar location has mostly high-end brands, whereas at a regular Goodwill high-end brands are the exception. The store carries brands such as 7 For All Mankind, Citizens of Humanity and PAIGE, among others. In keeping with the types of brands available, the prices are higher. This store is also accessible through the 801 by getting on at the West Mall or Dean Keeton stations and getting off at the Austin History Center, and then walking down 10th Street for about 18 minutes.

5. Savers

Located at 5222 Burnet Rd., this Savers location carries a mix of department store, high-end and more affordable brands from stores such as Walmart and Target. This is the place to go for on-the-cheap, quality, affordable clothing on a tight budget as most of the items stay at similar prices within categories such as tops, pants and shoes. Savers also supports resale shops in other countries by donating unsold clothing items to them.