Texas Asian Pan-Hellenic Council kickoffs its semiannual Greek Sneak Peak

GREEK_Shianne
Shianne Lum

Students sang, danced, won prizes and mingled with friends in the Student Activity Center Auditorium for an introduction to Greek life at the fall 2019 Greek Sneak Peek.

Presented and organized by the Texas Asian Pan-Hellenic Council, the free event showcased seven Asian-interest Greek-letter organizations on campus. During the event, established members of sororities and fraternities arranged an assortment of speeches and performances.

“Joining TAPC was the best decision of my life, and it is my home away from home,” said Nicholas Nguyen, president of Omega Phi Gamma and the council’s vice president of administration. “My first semester here on campus was a lonely one, and as soon as I pledged during my second semester, I knew this was my real family.”

Exercise science junior Nguyen said ever since pledging to his fraternity, he feels his friends are his family members. During the event, Nguyen said he feels freshmen should attend, but joining is no pressure. Nguyen said the atmosphere is welcoming, and seeing students represent their fraternities or sororities on stage is always fun.

An Asian American talent show presentedby Omega Phi Gamma will also be held next week in the Hogg Memorial Auditorium. Nguyen said attendees should anticipate a full house. 

“Events like the Greek Sneak Peek are some of our biggest events in terms of turnout, and it is honestly a really good opportunity for students to attend because it is during recruiting season,” said Matthew Sheng, vice president of finance for the board and an accounting junior. “When you want people to hear about you, this is the perfect place to get your name out. We also have performances, and this is the first year we allowed speakers too.”

The council’s fall 2019 Greek Sneak Peek was full of representative talks, recruitment videos for future students of the council and members showcasing their talents and skills. 

“Many people do not know about Asian fraternities and sororities, and I feel like (Texas Asian Pan-Hellenic Council) being on campus and hosting these kind of events shows really big cultural awareness,” said Yuri Kim, council president and psychology senior. “Hosting this event is to educate people, and as an organization, we have strong values we believe in.”