The Daily Texan to host panel discussion and watch party during Democratic presidential primary debate

Emma Overholt

The Texan will host a watch party for the Democratic presidential primary debate on Thursday, Sept. 12 at 6:30 p.m. in Burdine Hall 108. Prior to the event and during commercial breaks, a panel will discuss the political dynamic of the race. 

The panelists include the University Democrats Communications Director Hector Mendez, The Baines Report Editor-in-Chief Claire Burns, and Pride Policy Alliance Community Director Theo Adams. Before the debate begins, hear about Joe Biden’s general election viability, Elizabeth Warren’s resurgence, the impeachment dynamic, Kamala Harris’s inconsistency on health care and a wide range of other topics. 

Starting with more than 20 candidates, the field is winnowed due to the strict debate qualifications that the Democratic National Committee set in place. Virtually all of the candidates qualified for the two previous debates, but only 10 candidates made the cut for the third debate, which set polling and fundraising thresholds that were twice as high as the first two. The debate will feature:

•  

• Former Vice President Joe Biden

• New Jersey Senator Cory Booker

• South Bend Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg

• Former San Antonio Mayor Julián Castro 

• California Senator Kamala Harris

• Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar

• Former Texas Representative Beto O’Rourke 

• Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders

• Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren 

• Entrepreneur Andrew Yang

•  
  • The third debate will provide the public an opportunity to see all of the top contenders on one stage, and The Daily Texan is providing students and the UT community a venue to experience this contest with context and insights. 

Register for the event on Eventbrite or Facebook. The doors open at 6:15 p.m. and tickets will be checked at the door.