Duvernay named Co-Offensive Player of the Week

Devin_duvernay_2019-09-07-Texas_v_Louisiana_State_University_Joshua
Joshua Guenther

Senior wide receiver Devin Duvernay was named the Big 12 Co-Offensive Player of the Week on Monday after surpassing his career records in receptions and receiving yards Saturday against the LSU Tigers. 

In the 45-38 loss against LSU, Duvernay did a little bit of everything under the bright lights. In the first quarter, Duvernay completed an eight-yard pass to quarterback Sam Ehlinger on a trick play. He matched his career high in receiving touchdowns, scoring twice for the Longhorns, including a 44-yard pass in the fourth quarter where Duvernay squeezed through LSU’s defense on a fourth down.

“I felt like it was a game-changer by me, and then we still had to keep fighting back,” said Duvernay about the play in the postgame conference. “I knew it wasn’t over. They’re a good team, we’re a good team, so it wasn’t going to be easy.”

Duvernay finished with 12 receptions for 154 yards, 11 of those in the second half alone — setting a school record for most receptions in a half. His performance allowed Texas to become the first team since 2011 to throw more than 400 yards against LSU. 

Head coach Tom Herman was impressed with Duvernay’s performance Saturday, and he complimented the player’s physicality and leadership on the field. 

“I don’t know another way to say it, but the anger that he runs with once he has the ball in his hands and the physicality is just so impressive for a slot receiver,” Herman said. “I’m glad he’s on our team. I’m glad he is fully bought in, fully committed (and) compelled even at this point in his career. I would expect much of the same from him.” 

This is the second time that Duvernay has been nominated for Big 12 honors in his time at Texas, the first coming as a freshman in 2016 when he was named the Big 12’s Newcomer of the Week after he had four receptions for 96 yards and a touchdown against Iowa State. 

Duvernay shares the honor with Baylor’s wide receiver Denzel Mims. He had seven receptions for 101 yards in Baylor’s 63-14 win over UTSA. 

Although this performance was Duvernay’s best yet, it was just another day for the receiver. 

“Coach calls the plays, (and) I just try to do them to the best of my ability,” Duvernay said. “And when my number’s called, I try to make the most of it.”