Let’s get young people registered and hooked on voting

1018_BrittanyLe_Voting_Color
Brittany Le

There are a couple of things we like to believe about voting: that it is habit-forming and that it is contagious.

We believe that once a person votes for the first time, they are likely to make a habit of it. We also believe that if a person votes, they are likely to convince their friends and family to do the same.

That’s why at our program for young Texans, Texas Rising, we are focusing our efforts on getting new voters registered and to the polls.

On Sept. 24, National Voter Registration Day, our volunteers will fan out across the state with the  goal of registering 5,000 of their peers by midnight. It is part of our organization’s larger goal of registering 100,000 new, young voters in time for next year’s presidential election.

Adding 5,000 new voters to the approximately 16 million who were already registered in Texas for the 2018 election might not seem like much, but we see that number through the lens of the potential these voters have to make a difference, next year and beyond.

In an era where the electoral battles are hard-fought and sometimes won by small margins, getting any amount of new voter registrations could prove crucial.

In 2010, for example, one Central Texas state house district was decided by a dozen votes. If, as is widely expected, the Texas House is up for grabs next year, a handful of votes could very well decide who controls one of our legislative chambers.

You also surely haven’t forgotten – how could you? – that the 2016 presidential election was decided by a few thousand votes across the key battleground states of Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin. If, as is also expected, Texas is a battleground next year, it could be the most hotly contested of any state.

The three battlegrounds that swung the 2016 election have a combined 46 electoral votes. Texas has 38 all by itself. In a close race, 5,000 votes in the Lone Star State could very well decide who gets to live in the White House for four years.

There is also Florida in 2000. Many of the young Texans we will register are not old enough to remember that election, but they know the history. They very well know what the official margin was in that case — just 537 votes.

This is a critical time to be a young voter. By next year, it is estimated that millennials combined with Generation Z will make up 37% of the nationwide electorate. This large group of potential voters next year will be between the ages of 18 and 39.

Just last year, participation by people under the age of 30 in Texas spiked for the 2018 midterm elections. Let me tell you, that energy has not gone away.

I had the good fortune of attending the Democratic presidential debate in Houston, where I sat with other Texas Rising members. The excitement and enthusiasm are palpable. Young people frankly can’t wait for Nov. 3, 2020, to get here so that they can go out and vote.

This rising generation of young, diverse Texans has reached voting age and is ready to make an impact.

We all have a duty to work toward getting every possible voter registered and to the polls. We’re doing our part, and great organizations such as MOVE Texas, Jolt Action and Battleground Texas are also doing great work to register new voters.

We would appreciate some help, too. If you aren’t registered yet, your county’s elections administrator can help. If you know a young person, encourage them to register.

Now is the time to get this rising generation of young Texans hooked on voting.

Rae Martinez is the director of Texas Rising, a project of the Texas Freedom Network that builds the power of a rising generation of young Texans with an emphasis on communities of color by advocating for change in the cities and towns where we live and at the ballot box.