Buy or sell: Week 4 best bets

For Week Four I’m introducing a new pick called the “Marquee Matchup” where I’ll select one of the week’s top matchups. And as a reminder, I’m not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. I’m just a college student who watches too much college football and places bets he can’t afford — like most of y’all. This weekly column is where I will give you my best bets for the week in college football. I am not responsible for any money lost, so don’t request money from me on Venmo.

Last Week: 2–1

Overall: 7–2

Oklahoma State at No. 12 Texas(-6)

Did you know the last time Texas beat Oklahoma State at home was in 2008? Oh, you’ve heard that statistic only a few hundred times this week? Did you also know that Texas hasn’t won since head coach Mike Gundy started growing his mullet out? Don’t fact check that statistic, but it probably is true. Usually this game is a mixture of awful refereeing (see 2015), Texas just shooting itself in the foot by throwing to the opposing team during overtime in the endzone (see 2017) or just simply not showing up to play (see 2016 and 2018). So what could go wrong this year?

Pick: Texas(-6)

Marquee Matchup

No. 11 Michigan at No. 13 Wisconsin(-3.5)

The last time Wisconsin lost at home to Michigan? 2001. In fact, since the programs began playing each other annually in 2016, the home team has won every meeting. Michigan’s defense has looked underwhelming so far, which is not ideal when you have to face one of the nation’s top running backs in Jonathan Taylor. The Wolverines just barely escaped Army last weekend at home, and head coach Jim Harbaugh still, for some reason, has something against winning big games.

Pick: Wisconsin(-3.5)

Lock of the Week

No. 8 Auburn at No. 17 Texas A&M(-3.5)

I’m sorry, but what indication do we have that the Aggies are a good football team? I know Bo Nix is a freshman quarterback and hasn’t played a true road game yet, but are we sure junior Kellen Mond is a good quarterback? I have yet to see anything from A&M that makes me have faith in head coach Jimbo Fisher as more than field goal favorites against a superior program. Even the 100,000 farmers and the “12th man” at Kyle Field can’t do that much for the Aggies.

Pick: Auburn(+3.5)

Degenerate Gambler Pick of the Week

No. 16 Oregon(-10) at Stanford

It has been two straight double-digit losses for the Cardinal, and now they host a high-powered Oregon team that dropped 77 points on Nevada two weeks ago. Senior quarterback K.J. Costello didn’t look great last week against UCF, but maybe the rust will have worn off by the time they play the Ducks. But you know who has looked great? Justin Herbert. The senior quarterback is playing every bit like a first-round draft pick, and I look for him to have a big day against Stanford when Oregon needs him the most.

Pick: Oregon(-10)