Insomnia Cookies opening delayed due to electrical work

Insomnia_2019-10-09-Insomnia_Cookies_Belford
Nikayla Belford

Insomnia Cookies’ new location on San Antonio Street has delayed its opening until later this semester due to electrical issues during remodeling.

The late-night cookie delivery business intended to open by the end of the summer, as previously reported by The Daily Texan. Development permits from the city of Austin show the electrical installation process has been delayed several times since the summer.

“Getting the really basic and really important parts of any business laid down is going to be a long process,” said Hazi Ortiz, a call center supervisor for Insomnia Cookies. “Delays happen. We’re doing the best we can to expedite the process and open up.”

According to public city permit records, Insomnia Cookies had a continuance of work permit approved Monday. Ortiz said an opening date will be planned and announced once all remaining work is completed and approved.

“A lot of people wonder why we haven’t expanded to Austin sooner, so we’re really eager to get this location opened up,” Ortiz said. “Insomnia (Cookies) started in a college dorm room. Student markets are always markets we want to reach, and Austin has a really thriving one.”

Insomnia Cookies delivers until 3 a.m., according to the company’s website. Mechanical engineering senior Victoria Do said she was eager for the store to open because she uses a lot of food delivery services. 

“I definitely don’t eat at the same time a normal person does, even for regular meals,” Do said. “If I can get even a little snack delivered to my place on nights I’m working on a project or something, it’s kind of a small miracle.”

Do said she was already familiar with Insomnia Cookies from visiting friends at different universities and was looking forward to the opening.

“My friends here are hardcore Tiff’s (Treats) people, but I think having variety is good,” Do said. 

Insomnia Cookies is the latest cookie delivery service to come to campus following the establishment of businesses such as Austin-born Tiff’s Treats, which has a location on MLK Boulevard and Nueces Street. Radio-television-film senior Taylor Stern said she lives at The Castilian, where Insomnia Cookies will share retail space. Stern said she is interested in having another cookie delivery service near campus. 

“There’s never going to be any problem with more cookies — at least not that I’m going to have,” Stern said.