Three healthy, no-bake alternatives to Halloween Candy

candy_1009_RockyHigine_HalloweenDesserts copy
Rocky Higine

With Halloween quickly approaching, giant bags of candy line the shelves of every supermarket. For students looking to curb their Halloween cravings minus the calories, the Texan compiled a list of three alternative treats for the spooky season. Make them in your dorm or apartment on Halloween or year-round.

No-bake watermelon cake 

To make a deliciously sweet, low-calorie watermelon cake, purchase a large watermelon, Cool Whip, paper towels, a big knife and a spoon. For additional garnishing, sliced almonds, berries and other fresh fruit are popular options.

Step 1: Cut off the top and bottom of the melon. Then, cut off the rind, leaving a bare, cylinder-shaped “cake.” Slice the melon vertically down the middle into eight slices and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.

Step 2: Remove the watermelon from the fridge and pat dry with paper towels. Cover each chunk with a thick layer of Cool Whip, and add sliced almonds on top.

Step 3: Decorate your cake with other toppings and enjoy!

Vegan version: Specialty grocery stores such as Whole Foods offer dairy-free alternatives to Cool Whip. Students can also make their own whipped topping by mixing together coconut milk and powdered sugar.

No-bake chocolate peanut butter bars

REESE’S Peanut Butter Cups are a Halloween favorite, but these no-bake bars have all the flavor without the fat.

To make the bars, first gather a box of graham crackers, peanut butter, unsalted butter, powdered sugar and semi-sweet chocolate chips. Also be sure to have a Ziploc bag and tin foil on hand.

Step 1: Break the graham crackers into quarters and place in a Ziploc bag. Crush the crackers until they are a fine dust. Pour into a separate bowl, adding powdered sugar and a few spoonfuls of peanut butter. Stir until the mixture is a thick, smooth consistency.

Step 2: Microwave two sticks of butter until melted and pour over the mixture. Stir.

Step 3: Pour the mixture onto a tray lined with tin foil and smooth until flat and covering tray.

Step 4: Melt chocolate chips for about a minute, stirring occasionally to avoid burning. Spread the chocolate until it covers the mixture in the tray. Refrigerate the tray for an hour and a half.

Step 5: Put another few spoonfuls of peanut butter into a bowl. Microwave until melted. Drizzle melted peanut butter over the refrigerated bars. Cut into squares and enjoy!

For a vegan alternative, use banana slices and a drizzle of honey instead of chocolate to sweeten the bars.

Magnolia Bakery banana pudding

To make this light and sweet version of the infamous Magnolia Bakery banana pudding, gather bananas, Nilla Wafer Cookies, sweetened condensed milk, heavy cream, and Jell-O sugar-free fat-free vanilla pudding mix.

Step 1: Pour vanilla pudding mix into a bowl, and then add water and condensed milk. Stir. Refrigerate the pudding for at least four hours.

Step 2: In a separate bowl, whisk the heavy cream until it is whipped and foamy in texture. Fold the whipped cream into the refrigerated pudding mixture.

Step 3: In a parfait cup or mason jar, layer the ingredients: Nilla Wafer Cookies on the bottom, then a layer of sliced bananas and then the pudding mixture. Repeat.

Step 4: Finish the dessert off with a layer of pudding and crushed Nilla Wafers Cookies. Refrigerate overnight for best quality. Enjoy!