Previewing the 2019-2020 Season: Longhorns in the NBA

Over the past few years, the NBA offseason has become a nonstop show, garnering more attention than the NBA Finals in some respects. This largely has to do with the NBA becoming the pinnacle of player empowerment, as seen by the resurgence of dynamic duos.

The “Big Three” era diminished this summer as tenacious twosomes formed throughout the NBA, adding a heightened level of intrigue to the regular season. Among all the transactions, former Longhorns made their way to new teams.

Kevin Durant – Brooklyn Nets

One of the biggest dominoes to fall in free agency was Kevin Durant, who shook the league after departing the Golden State Warriors for the new-look Brooklyn Nets. After suffering a ruptured Achilles tendon in the 2019 NBA Finals, Durant’s status for the 2019-2020 season is uncertain. However, Durant is looking to make Brooklyn an instant title contender upon his return. Although there have been rumblings that Durant could return this year, it is more realistic to see him back on the court in the fall of 2020.

Cory Joseph – Sacramento Kings

Cory Joseph became a Sacramento King this summer after spending two seasons with the Indiana Pacers. Joseph played a full 82-game schedule during both seasons with the Pacers, showcasing both his reliability and durability. Joseph joins forces with one of the most talented young cores in the league, led by Buddy Hield and De’Aaron Fox. At 28 years old, Joseph finds himself among the older players on the roster and will look to bring a leadership presence to an up-and-coming Kings squad.

Avery Bradley – Los Angeles Lakers

Avery Bradley will look to help the Los Angeles Lakers reign supreme over the Los Angeles Clippers in the battle for L.A. this season. Both teams made vast improvements this offseason with marquee roster additions: the Clippers acquired both Kawhi Leonard and Paul George while the Lakers traded for Anthony Davis. The Lakers filled out their roster by bringing in quality role players, such as Bradley, to maximize their championship aspirations. Bradley, a reputable defender, will be counted on by the Lakers to slow down opposing talent each night.

Isaiah Taylor – Toronto Raptors

Isaiah Taylor signed a nonguaranteed deal with the defending champions the Toronto Raptors. Since going undrafted from Texas in 2016, Taylor has worked to establish himself in the NBA. Taylor last played for the Atlanta Hawks in the 2017-18 season where he averaged 6.6 points and 3.1 assists in 17.4 minutes per game. This was Taylor’s most opportunistic season, as he suited up for 67 games. The former Texas guard joins a crowded Toronto roster and is looking to secure a permanent roster spot for the regular season.