Takeaways from football coordinators

Coordinators Todd Orlando and Tim Beck met with the press Wednesday to discuss the state of Texas’ defense and offense following their disappointing performance against Kansas. looking forward to the next game, Beck and Orlando continued to guide their players to success for the upcoming matchup with Texas Christian University.

Early game predictions have TCU favored by 2.5 points against the Longhorns and both Orlando and Beck know that this week will be another challenge.

“It’s going to be a battle, I can tell you that right now,” Beck said. “(Their defense) run(s) well. They’re well coached. They don’t make a lot of mistakes. You got to beat them. They’re not going to give you stuff. You got to earn everything you can against them.”

Texas’ defensive injuries have been covered since the onset of their season, making way for lackluster performances. However, this issue could be alleviated with the return of sophomore cornerback Jalen Green. Orlando said he is still a possibility for TCU, reaffirming head coach Tom Herman’s press conference statement on Monday. Green has been recovering from a dislocated shoulder injury since Week 4 but practiced with the team on Sunday.

Orlando also said sophomore safeties DeMarvion Overshown and B.J. Foster are a set to play against the Horned Frogs but are limited in practice as of Wednesday. Overshown and Foster have been dealing with shoulder pain, but Orlando will know by Thursday’s practice whether they will be able to join the starting lineup.

“We’re banged up, everybody knows that. … And the part that the juggling act comes into is getting them to the ball game (and) making sure they get enough work in,” Orlando said. “What’s happening right now is just one of those things that we can’t control it and all we can do is just keep pushing forward and get these guys in there and just try to get them as seasoned as you can during practice … so when they go on the field, it’s they’re not surprised or shocked … and try to just settling them down.”

Offensively, Beck felt the offense has improved on their pass protection since the Oklahoma game. Junior quarterback Sam Ehlinger was sacked nine times against the Sooners but only three times against the Jayhawks.

“I mean it continues to get better,” Beck said. “I thought our guys did a lot better because even the times Sam took off it wasn’t because of pressure, it was because of more of the coverage.”

The Longhorns last meeting in Amon G. Carter Stadium resulted in a 24-7 loss to the Horned Frogs. When asked if it was hard to think about their progress since, Beck said the change has been night and day.

“Fortunately for us, we’ve been doing some good things on offense but it’s all it’s all credited to (the players putting in work) and believing because certainly you come in and (say) ‘We’re going to be this, be this,’ and we weren’t and all of a sudden, you know what’s going to happen?’” Beck said. “We, as coaches, and we, as players on offense, we never wavered. This is who we’re going to be it’s going to take some time, keep plugging, keep plugging, keep plugging, and eventually, they’re going to reap the rewards and they’re getting some of that now.”