Big 12 power rankings: Week Nine

Lillian Michel

No. 1: Oklahoma

Stop me if you’ve heard this before, but Oklahoma quarterback Jalen Hurts threw for 316 yards and three touchdowns in a blowout win last weekend. Hurts’ revenge tour is starting to look like a broken record. He’s keeping that offense chugging along as the Sooners keep rolling their way through the Big 12.

No. 2: Baylor

It appears we really do have a new contender for the Big 12 Championship. Yes, Baylor barely escaped with a win over Texas Tech that the Bears should have lost, but for now they are still very much undefeated. Don’t be shocked if they remain so going into a Week 12 clash with Texas.

No. 3: Texas

That’s right, folks. Texas is no longer sitting pretty at the No. 2 spot it has occupied this whole season. Kansas scored 48 points in Austin. Again, that’s Kansas. Not a great look for Tom Herman and the Longhorns, who have a lot to prove this weekend as underdogs in Fort Worth.

No. 4: Iowa State

After their lull in the first several weeks of the season, it appears the Cyclones have once again righted the ship. They went to Lubbock last weekend and picked up a much-needed win over Texas Tech. Sophomore quarterback Brock Purdy had a career day with 378 yards and three touchdowns.

No. 5: Texas Tech

A fairly significant drop-off seems to appear after our top four teams. Texas Tech has now lost three of four Big 12 matchups after last week’s loss to the Cyclones. There’s just not much talent for first-year head coach Matt Wells to work with defensively, and it’s shown. The Red Raiders have allowed more than 30 points in all four conference games.

No. 6: Oklahoma State

Head coach Mike Gundy is doing his best. But the Cowboys’ inexperience has outweighed its talent so far. This was on full display in Oklahoma State’s 45-27 loss to Baylor last weekend. The Cowboys just couldn’t finish despite some gaudy offensive numbers from sophomore running back Chuba Hubbard and crew.

No. 7: Kansas State

Yes, nobody wants to be ranked No. 7 of 10, but the Wildcats are trending upward. They defended their home field against TCU last weekend in a back-and-forth 24-17 win over the Horned Frogs. This week, we’ll see how they stack up against the blue bloods in a clash with Oklahoma Saturday.

No. 8: TCU

Not unlike Oklahoma State, this TCU team just doesn’t know how to win yet. Freshman quarterback Max Duggan had a nice day with over 100 yards rushing and passing in a game in which they outgained Kansas State by 100 yards, but the Horned Frogs couldn’t pull off a win in a tough road environment.

No. 9: Kansas

Kansas is showing signs of life, and this time they might be for real. Clearly this Texas defense is one of the worst it’s had in a long time, but the Jayhawks were making things look easy as they hung 48 points on them in Austin. So for the first time this year, Kansas is out of last place.

No. 10: West Virginia

Junior quarterback Austin Kendall’s return to Norman, Oklahoma, went about as well as anyone expected. This revamped Oklahoma defense held West Virginia to just 242 total yards of offense. The Mountaineers get a one week break before another game against class of the conference as they head to Waco for a prime-time matchup.