The Daily Texan to host panel on college affordability

Emma Overholt

On July 9 of this year, UT passed a tuition grant offering full tuition scholarships to in-state undergraduates whose families make $65,000 or less per year. The University of Texas System Board of Regents voted unanimously to establish a $160 million endowment, pulling from the state's Permanent University Fund to launch the program in the fall of 2020. To engage in this enactment and increase awareness among the UT student population, The Daily Texan is hosting a college affordability panel on Thursday, Oct. 24, 2019 from 6:00-8:00 p.m. in room 2.102 at the Jesse H. Jones Communication Center – Building B (CMB).

The panel will discuss the tuition grant and dissect future implications of financial aid expansion, benefits and the overall impact on UT’s campus. The panelists coming to speak for the event include executive director of the Office of Financial Aid Diane Sprague, associate vice provost for Enrollment Management Carolyn Connerat and student activist Zachary Henry. 

There will also be time allotted for an audience Q&A session, so students, locals and faculty members can ask questions involving college affordability in the wake of the new tuition grant. 

In order to register for the event, consult the Facebook page and/or fill out the Eventbrite link. The doors will open at 5:45 p.m. and tickets will be checked at the door.