Student music group Euphoria ATX hosts Halloween-themed open mic night

open mic_2019_10_30_Spooky_Open_Mic_Night_Lauren
Lauren Barrero

Amid orange fairy lights and paper jack-o’-lanterns, students got into the Halloween spirit Tuesday by listening to student musicians take the stage for an on-campus open mic night. 

Performers sang their own songs or covers of popular tunes during the Spooky Night Open Mic, which was hosted by student music group Euphoria ATX.  Nate Eastwick, who peformed a cover of “XO” by Beyoncé and original music, said he came out to the event to get more exposure and promote his upcoming projects.

“I have an album coming out early next year,” economics junior Eastwick said. “This is a chance for me to show people some stuff they’ve never heard before live. I produce, write, design, sing and vocalize all my own stuff. I made over 135 songs, and from there, I’ve picked out what I like the best and the genre I’m settling in.”

Euphoria ATX president Emily Svahn said the group held the free Halloween-themed event in the William C. Powers, Jr. Student Activity Center Ballroom as an opportunity for student musicians to get comfortable with performing live shows.

“(We want to) give people a chance where it’s a very welcoming and stress-free environment,” public relations senior Svahn said. “If you’re not used to a crowd, you can be making music all you want in your bedroom all day, but a true performer, I believe, especially in the Austin music scene, will survive if they’re able to put on a good show.”

Hannah McChensey, who sang and played guitar, said she thought performing during the open mic would be a good way to get back into music. 

“I started playing piano when I was five, and then I learned guitar when I was in middle school, so I started playing and doing songwriting,” biology senior
McChesney said. “I really got into music and writing a bunch of songs. Since I went to college, I haven’t had much time for it, but I’m trying to actively make time.”

Alexander Lexington, a composition and music production senior, said open mic nights help up-and-coming musicians connect with Austin’s well-known music scene.

“This is a great way to get into the scene,” Lexington said. “A lot of people here that are sticking with music have grown up their entire lives in the scene of music, so when you connect with all the artists who’ve lived here their entire lives making music, it helps a lot.”