5 donation centers open during holidays

1121_DonationListicle_MeganClarke
Megan Clarke

‘Tis the season of giving. As people save up and purchase gifts for their family and friends, Austin offers some of the best shopping for students during the holidays.

However, for those looking to do a winter-cleaning as the year comes to an end, there are many options for donation centers that students can hand their unused or unwanted items to. The Daily Texan compiled a list of five donation centers that take in things from prom dresses to puppy toys. 

1.  Dress For Success Austin – East Austin 

Located at 701 Tillery Street, Dress For Success Austin provides women the opportunity to find their perfect professional wear. Students can contribute to the donation center’s large array of female work clothes and business attire by donating clean and gently used suits, blouses, pants, shoes and bags. Dress For Success Austin’s website recommends the pieces donated to be modern-professional, cut to a conservative length and ready to be worn in the workplace. 

2. Project Princess 

Run by the Texas Lonestars, a University spirit group, Project Princess offers students the chance to donate prom dresses, shoes and accessories of all sizes to local girls for their big day. The nonprofit has three different locations students can drop their items off to. Unbridaled, a bridal store located on South Lamar Boulevard, Urban Betty on West 38th Street and Austin High School on West Cesar Chavez are all among the donation locations. Students can also look forward to annual Boutique Day, where the members of Project Princess put together a personal shopping experience for girls looking for prom attire. Details about Boutique Day will be up on their website early next semester.

3. Austin Pets Alive! 

Operated on 1156 West Cesar Chavez, Austin Pets Alive takes donations related to any pet necessity ranging from medical treatments to everyday leashes and leads. Students can also give their unwanted animal items or donate any amount of money to contribute to the  Austin Pets Alive! fund found on their website. The donation center accepts items from flea protectant medicine to dog anxiety jackets, so Fido can have a happy holiday as well.

4. Austin Habitat for Humanity ReStore

Students who are moving out this semester or looking to declutter can donate used furniture and home appliances to The Austin Habitat for Humanity ReStore. The donation center keeps large items like couches and washing machines out of landfills while assisting in home improvements of others. The ReStore also accepts items students wouldn’t usually think of donating, such as lumber, plywood, tiles and wood, all contributing to zero-waste and helping the environment. The Austin ReStore is located at 500 West Ben White Boulevard, about a 15 minute drive from campus.    

Want more content like this in your inbox every morning?

5. The Salvation Army 

The Salvation Army is famous for its wide array of donation items and stores. Students can give away almost anything in their wardrobe to the many locations found near the University. Common items donated to The Salvation Army are among clothes of all sizes, furniture and household appliances. The Salvation Army website  offers students the option to schedule a free pickup for donations. The nearest locations to campus are at 1000 East 41st Street, HEB Hancock Center, and at 4216 South Congress Avenue.