Buy or sell: Week 13 best bets

In what may be my final betting column for The Daily Texan, I want to thank my editors for publishing this column. To the people who read this column, hopefully I’ve made you more money than you’ve lost. As a reminder, I’m not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. I’m just a college student who watches too much college football and places bets he can’t afford — like most of y’all. This weekly column is where I will give you my best bets for the week in college football. I am not responsible for any money lost, so don’t request money from me on Venmo. 

Last Week: 2–2

Overall: 21–10

Texas at No. 14 Baylor(-5.5)

Well at least Texas covered, even if it means the program will finish the decade with 10-straight four-loss seasons. Both teams come into this game following demoralizing losses. The Bears have more to play for at this point, but how do you recover from blowing a 28-3 lead at home? The answer is you don’t — just ask Matt Ryan. The Longhorns still have a lot to gain this weekend with a victory. An upset victory in Waco will put the team back on the right trajectory. A loss would only make the shouts for coaching staff changes even louder. Herman has done a good job of getting his players to show up in big games, especially against ranked opponents. Now we get to see how Herman does in a game that will help define the season. 

Pick: Texas(+5.5)

Marquee Matchup of the Week

No. 8 Penn State at No. 2 Ohio State(-18)

The smallest margin of victory for the Buckeyes this year? 24 points. Watch any Ohio State game and it’s just pure domination on both sides of the ball. This will no doubt be Ohio State’s toughest test so far. The only advantage Penn State seems to have is that this is an 11:00 a.m. kickoff instead of being the prime-time game. The last time either team won by double digits was in 2015, when the then No. 1 Buckeyes won 38-10 at home, but I don’t expect another blowout.

Pick: Penn State(+18)

Lock of the Week

Boston College at No. 16 Notre Dame(-19)

Notre Dame might be the best team at winning games they’re supposed to win. The Fighting Irish always find a way to blow out teams and trick people into thinking they’re good. It’s why they made it to the College Football Playoff last year, and also why they made it to the 2013 BCS National Championship. Fortunately, the Playoff Committee has figured them out and currently has them at No. 16 with no shot of making it to the Playoff this year. In fact, barring a late-season breakdown, there’s a possibility we might see a Notre Dame and Texas matchup in the Camping World Bowl. Either way, Notre Dame has back-to-back blowout victories over Duke and Navy, and with a reeling Boston College coming into South Bend, Indiana, I sense another one coming.

Pick: Notre Dame(-19)

Degenerate Gambler Bet of the Week

Nebraska(-5) at Maryland

With the Cornhuskers’ losing streak now at four games, I might be one of the few remaining people riding the Scott Frost bandwagon. Fortunately, that losing streak should come to an end this week against the mighty Terrapins, who just gave up 73 points to Ohio State and haven’t scored more than 20 points in a game since October. If the Nebraska program is barely alive, then the Maryland program was pronounced dead in September. Either way, one losing streak will end this week.

Pick: Nebraska(-5)