Longhorns continue excellence in Day Two of Texas Invitational

Jordan_Windle_Angela
Angela Wang

The Longhorn women all placed in the top five for the second time in two days, repeating the feat today in the one-meter dive after doing so yesterday in the three-meter dive. Senior Alison Gibson won, adding to her first-place finish on the three-meter Thursday evening. 

After her third dive, Gibson displayed obvious annoyance with the way she hit the water, but she wasn’t too worried about it. 

“What I’m taking away from all this is that nothing is going to be perfect, but all I can do is work hard and love what I do,” Gibson said. 

After that third dive, Gibson locked in and maintained her stranglehold on the lead. Following Gibson, sophomores Morgan Menninger and Paola Pineda placed second and third. The third-place finish for Pineda gives her another podium finish in addition to her second-place finish in the three-meter dive. Freshman Jordan Skilken in fourth and freshman Janie Boyle in fifth rounded out the Texas women’s contingent.

The men weren’t dominating quite as much as the women. Junior Jordan Windle won the men’s three-meter dive, giving him a perfect 8–0 record for the season after he won yesterday’s one-meter dive.

“I’m just having a lot of fun right now competing with all my friends,” Windle said.

Windle continued to provide energy during the meet, just as he did on Day One, dancing along with the in-meet music and cheering on senior Jacob Cornish during his last dive. 

“I’m not one of the most serious divers,” Windle said. “I text my dad (and) I text my friends during competitions.” 

Senior Grayson Campbell placed third after scratching out of Thursday’s one-meter dive with an AC joint injury. At times, Campbell looked rusty, but he got better as the meet went on, moving into second place after his fifth dive. Campbell ended up placing third behind Arizona State senior Youssef Selim, only losing to Selim by 0.25 points, 424.95 to 424.70.

Sophomore Andrew Gawin-Parigini, freshman Andrew Harness and Cornish placed fifth, sixth and seventh, respectively, to give the Longhorns five out of the seven top spots.