Longhorns dominate Day One of Texas Invitational

WINDLE_2019-03-04_Texas_Swimming_Day_3_Joshua
Joshua Guenther

The Longhorns had their first home meet of the season Thursday and took full advantage of it. 

Texas swept the men’s one-meter podium. Junior Jordan Windle won with 402.15 points, while senior Jacob Cornish placed second and freshman Andrew Harness was third overall. 

Windle took the lead in the third round with a dive that had a 3.3 difficulty rating, the most difficult of the competition, and never looked back. Windle said that he decided to do the 3.5 pike in the final. 

“I’ve been working on it (the dive) for a few days and I stayed confident,” Windle said.

Windle is an NCAA champ, but diving coach Matt Scoggin thinks even more is on the horizon.

“There are no limits (for Windle),” Scoggin said. “He really can become as great as he’s willing to train and dream.” 

Windle has been backing up Scoggin’s beliefs, now 7–0 this season and a two-time Big 12 Diver of the Week. Scoggin talked about keeping Windle healthy and managing his load.

“Because he trains so hard if you keep him healthy for a long period, he can’t help but getter better,” Scoggin said. 

Scoggin has also had to apply that mentality to the rest of the team. Texas senior Reed Merritt dove while wearing support tape on his lower and mid-back en route to a seventh-place finish. Senior Grayson Campbell scratched from the one-meter dive with an AC joint strain after the injury flared up earlier this week.

In the women’s three-meter dive, Longhorns placed first through fifth, led by senior Alison Gibson who finished first with a score of 382.90.

“I’m just really having fun with it,” Gibson said. “I want to make the most of this time that I have (at UT), just let go and dive the way I can dive, and we’ll see what happens.”

Also on the women’s side, sophomore Paolo Pineda finished second on the back of a strong third-round dive that elicited a whistle and fist pump from Scoggin on the sidelines. Freshman Janie Boyle was the last Longhorn on the podium, placing third. 

Texas will try to continue to feel the energy and its momentum into the weekend and retain its undefeated record this season.